Tubes for filling growlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for filling growlers?

I can't seem to locate a good tube that fits are faucets that doesn't split apart at the end. What does everyone use to fill growlers from the tap and where do they source it from?
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

*shrug*
    Me, either. All ours are split/stretched-to-hell. I tried finding a tube o.d. that would shove tightly into the faucet, but that was a bust too. The brewer that invents a perfectly sized and functional growler filler will become as a god!

Rob
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

I have always used a 6 or 7 inch piece on ½ inch vinyl beverage tubing. I buy in from Micro Matic, but I sure there are other sources for that type of tubing. The hoses do wear out, but it is an easy replacement.

Comment

Two things:

Get better faucets for your draft tower. The new Perlick stainless faucets have a tapered nozzle that holds a hose perfectly, and there are no vent holes to spray beer over you. They stay clean much longer, no mold buildup around vent holes.

Hoses: we use a piece of 3/8" beer line, with a short piece of 1/2" tubing over the end of that hose that fits up on the tapered end of the stainless faucets.

Our growler record is 131 growlers filled in four hours, on a six-head tower. Anyone top that?
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

We use 1/2 id food grade vinyl tubing as well - works great! However, the reason is probably the faucet and not the tubing. We use Perlick stainless faucets - they have a flow straightener on the end. The straightener is tapered which conveniently makes for a great tubing fit. Easy on/off, the Perlick faucet and 1/2 id tubing combo really works well for us, and we average about 300 growler fills per week. Stainless One faucets work great too, but I am not sure they are still being made. I think any model with a tapered spout should work great.

Comment

Linus and I must have been posting simultaneously! And yes, we have filled over 250 1/2 gallon growlers in a five hour period, on a 4 faucet system. The day before Thanksgiving, its always our best growler day of the year!

Comment

Those pesky vent holes do make a mess. I've taken to a brute-force method of cobra head faucets which recieve a piece of tubing very nicely...but my whole operation is kinda brute force.

Scott

Comment

Tubing

I have always used tubing that fit on the inside of the draft faucet!
                Doug A Moller
                Brewmaster
                The Moller Brew House
                (405)226-3111

Comment

heh, I'll never forget trying to make a counter pressure (sans co2 flush) contraption for growler filling.....just a rubber stopper for the growler with two holes, one with a hose going into the growler bottom connecting to the fawcet, the other with a small plastic ball valve to regulate the air leaving the growler.......only took one test run, gotta nice spray of beer right in my face;-) I didnt take into consideration the vent on front of a standard fawcet....oh well

hmmm.....might actually work with the new perlicks....

JackK

Comment

The new tapered tap faucets are definately the ticket. I just use two pieces of clear beer hose. The ID of the first one is slightly larger than the tap faucet diameter and about 3 inches long. I put an adjustable hose clamp in the middle of it and then slightly tighten it until it slides onto the tap faucet but fits tightly when it meets the clamped section. The second piece is about 10 inches long (enough to reach bottom of growler) and has an OD just big enough to not quite slip into the other shorter piece. It needs to be a tight fit. Heat the bigger piece in hot water and the chill thinner hose in ice water and then slip them together and they will adhere together quite well when at the same temp. I'm not sure of the exact tube dimensions. They are cheap and easy to make and a hell of a lot cheaper than the ones that Rapids Dist. sells.

Comment

I was at Silverado Brewing in Saint Helena, CA the other day and the bartender hooked the hose to the spray wand on the espresso machine and ran steem through it for about 15 seconds before filling my beer in a box. It was a nice touch.

Comment

We have been using the grolwer filler from Rapids cost about five bucks, works great paid for it the first night we used it.

Comment

Tapered faucet flow straighteners with some hose work well for me too. Wow, talk about some serious growler sales! Care to share your promotional ideas, what works best for you and how you sell so many growler fills?
                          -Beaux

Comment

Stainless One faucets

Stainless One faucets are expensive up front but they will save you time and beer in the future. (NO TUBE NEEDED) ( CLEAN ) ( BEER FRIENDLY)

-Todd
                            Todd Malloy
                            Director of Brewing
                            Glenwood Canyon Brewing Co.
                            Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Comment

Easy Growler Filler

We fill our growlers directly from the tap as most do - our problem was that the tube kept spliting. We now use this company called Maverick Machine Works (they also make our tap handles).

They incorporated a compression mount to the top of the tube and life is good. As well as the price $15.00

Here is their website with more product information.

Cheers,

Steve B.
                              ctbrewpub

Comment

Working...
                              X