Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on brewing. Suggestions?

I'm looking for books on two topics.

1. Brewpub operations. I saw a book on Amazon by Barry Macleod. Has anyone read this? Is it useful? Any other suggestions?

2. Equipment. I'm looking for a text that discusses in some detail the equipment used in commercial breweries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If there are no books, articles, anything really.

Thanks very much.

Ben
    Last edited by bndooley; 02-24-2006, 01:02 AM.

There are a lot of great books on how to start a bar or restaurant, and that's the fundamental info most likely to make or break you. The brewing part is simple!

I just now did a search at Amazon.com for "starting a bar or restaurant" and got lots of good stuff!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

If I had one brewing book it would be de Clerck. Next something more recent.

Comment

As far as an introduction to brewing beer, I really enjoyed Charlie Papazian's "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and "The Brewing Companion". Both books are well-written and cover the basics pretty well (the second one is basically volume 2 of the first), and are an enjoyable read.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Beer, beer, and more beer.

You may want to try the Beer, beer, and more beer website. Under beer books they have a wide selection that may answer some of your questions.

Good luck
          Jamie

Comment

I recently got the MBAA practical Series for the Specialty Brewer .... this is supposed to be like deClerck, but more updated. I've only started it but it does expand your knowledge quite a bit ... also suggest the the Brewery Planner (but a new one about brewpubs is supposed to come out this fall, so maybe wait for this) ... also get the New Brewer Subscription.

there are countless restaurant startup guides out there - this is probably more important, but not as personally satisfying.

I would maybe get "beer school" and the other books above rather than the "tips" guides.

Comment

MBAA Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer

I have bought all 3 volumes a while ago. Written in Q&A format. I have been in brewery design for many years, but even picked up small things here and there. Good reference.
              Furthermore De Clerck is a great reference, although I do not know whether they are still available. I inhertited my 2 volumes from a life-time retiring brewer. It was a great present and compliment.

BelgianBrewer
              Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bndooley
                I'm looking for books on two topics.

1. Brewpub operations. I saw a book on Amazon by Barry Macleod. Has anyone read this? Is it useful? Any other suggestions?

2. Equipment. I'm looking for a text that discusses in some detail the equipment used in commercial breweries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If there are no books, articles, anything really.

Thanks very much.

Ben
                Ben,
                Barry Macleod was one of the authors of both the Innovative manuals I sold through ProBrewer. Barry was VP Operations/Marketing for DME Brewing Services.
                Cheers & I'm out!
                David R. Pierce
                NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                POB 343
                New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

de Clerck

Yes, I agree that de Clerck is really wonderful, venerable tome. Something to be treasured. Having said that, his book is not really that practical nowadays. It's one of the most fun books to thumb through, and it helps you to understand the technical aspects of brewing from a historical perspective, but honestly, it's a bit out-dated to be of that much use, compared to other reference texts. However, for those things about brewing which haven't changed, his book remains, of course, a valuable reference.
                  Last edited by crassbrauer; 09-14-2006, 09:59 AM.

Comment

de Clerck

You can purchase the 2 volume set of de Clerck's "A Textbook of Brewing" through the Seibel Institute's website for $95.00. I just received mine but haven't had a chance to really look through it yet.
                    ''Work is the curse of the drinking class'' - Oscar Wilde

Comment

book suggestions

deClerck as mentioned is a good one, although at times can be a bit dry. One book that I have worn out is the Wolfgang Kunze book, "Technology Brewing and Malting". I've heard that for years it has been considered the German text on brewing, and was only recently translated.

It does have tons of diagrams and is laid out very well. It also has some very good engineering sections...

Cheers...

hoprocketeer

Comment

Also, "The Brewer's Association's Guide to Starting Your Own Brewery" Edited by Ray Daniels is scheduled for release on November 1. They have a special price of $56.00 for BA & AHA members through Nov 15. Regular price is $79.00

Comment

Kunze

Kunze is a good, however, Narziss is considered the Bible of Brewing and Malting in Germany. Kunze is more general reading.

Comment

Originally posted by hoprocketeer
                            deClerck as mentioned is a good one, although at times can be a bit dry. One book that I have worn out is the Wolfgang Kunze book, "Technology Brewing and Malting". I've heard that for years it has been considered the German text on brewing, and was only recently translated.

It does have tons of diagrams and is laid out very well. It also has some very good engineering sections...

Cheers...

hoprocketeer
                            Do you know where I could buy a copy of "Technology Brewing and Malting"?

BelgianBrewer
                            Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Technology Brewing and Malting

Siebel also sells "Technology Brewing and Malting" through their website for $150.00

Comment

Working...
                              X