Degrees Noonan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degrees Noonan?

Is there a standard unit for pitching rate? If there isn't I'd like to propose one. One "degree Noonan" would be equal to 1 billion cells per Liter per degree Plato.

What do you think?

Why not a "Miller" or a "Papazian"?

Better yet, a "Sollenberger" sounds much more applicable.

Just havin' fun......

Comment

Nah, a "Zamites" is much better
      "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Damn, there are times when having the last name of "Smith" is nothing but a disadvantage....

Comment

I just went with Noonan because that's the first place I read that rule. Not sure who actually came up with it.

Can you see this in a recipe for a sour ale? "After primary fermentation is complete, pitch Pediococcus at .5ºN"

Comment

Originally posted by Beersmith
            Damn, there are times when having the last name of "Smith" is nothing but a disadvantage....

Yeah......but it works great in hotels!

Comment

Pitch rate

The really boring answer is "No". At least I have never heard of one in nearly 30 years. Pitching rates are typically expressed in pound / barrel or KG / hectolitre, or grammes / litre, of pressed yeast which, from memory is around 28 % wet solids / 14% dry solids, or occasionally in volume/volume at a consistent dry solids content. This is to give the desired yeast cell count in freshly pitched wort of whatever is required to produce the desired fermentation profile and healthy yeast for repitching if required. The critical control is the cell concentration, expressed in Europe at least as millions of cells / ml.

But I like the discussion . Perhaps you should try marketing your beer with "...pitched with our special yeast at 5 Noonans / litre" or whatever - it may add a certain mystery to the brew !
              dick

Comment

Damn, Dick, you sure know how to take the fun out of a thing :P

I vote for an immediate change from "degrees Noonan" to "degrees Murton" !!
                "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Nah far too boring for that !! Though I suppose it's one possible way to achieve some degree of posterity - but I think Pierre Celis is a better example
                  dick

Comment

Originally posted by RobZamites
                    I vote for an immediate change from "degrees Noonan" to "degrees Murton" !!
                    Here, here!!! I think "degrees Murton" would work better for a measure of clarity, since Dick's always so good at providing it!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton
                      Nah far too boring for that !! Though I suppose it's one possible way to achieve some degree of posterity - but I think Pierre Celis is a better example
                      What's this about Pierre Celis? Is he boring? I never got that idea. Anyone read his book besides me?

Comment

No. Sorry if I gave the wrong immpression. I was meaning that if anyone deserved to get this accolade, then it should be someone like Pierre, for all the good work he has done promoting beers with character.
                        dick

Comment

cells in suspension

I always deal with yeast and am familiar with it in cells per ml. The Thoma cell counter uses cells per ml, which I use to count cells suspension; however I understand the advantage of billions of cells per liter per degree extract, if you're used to it. (For bottom-fermented beers at around 10 - 14 degrees extract, if the yeast is healthy, then 20 million per ml is the norm, which during fermentation will peak at around 60 million per ml, unless you're brewing a bock. For top-fermenting yeast, obviously less is required.)

Comment

Working...
                          X