Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monkeybrewer
    Hey David
    were you serious about the spicy V8 and pale ale? I'm a bloody mary lover (v8 as well) and that sounds like it would be pretty sweet. Either that or I'm a bit gullable
    Cheers
    Yep, serious. A good, hoppy APA works best with the spicy V8. Enjoy!
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

sounds good

thanks for the info...I'm going to try one tonight.
      Cheers
      Jay Stoyanoff
      Brewmaster
      Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
      Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Originally posted by monkeybrewer
        thanks for the info...I'm going to try one tonight.
        Cheers
        Oh no, this is definitely a breakfast drink.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by beertje46
          Oh no, this is definitely a breakfast drink.
          So what do you add to coffee to round out a breakfast menu?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexisScarlett
            So what do you add to coffee to round out a breakfast menu?
            Carolines or Baileys in a dark roast coffee. Pleasent Morning Buzz from Whole Foods is my favorite bean.
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Whole Foods? I didn't think anyone on a brewer's salary could afford to shop there.

I'd have to vote for Jameison & vanilla soymilk.
              Jeff Byrne

Comment

Jameson & Soymilk? And there's a vanilla version? My irish blood just curdeled.

To each his own.

Comment

Where the heck did this one go?
                  I realize coffee comes in a can too but maybe this should be moved to Cafe' Bustello's forum.

Comment

Originally posted by brewbong
                    Where the heck did this one go?
                    I realize coffee comes in a can too but maybe this should be moved to Cafe' Bustello's forum.
                    I started a new thread for coffee here. To put an end to the thread jack.
                    Cheers & I'm out!
                    David R. Pierce
                    POB 343
                    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Can liners

So this just hit the news
                      "Nalgene to phase out hard-plastic bottles Containers made with bisphenol A chemical linked to health risks"
                      apparently its the same plastic that cans are lined with, wonder what this will do to the can market for bevearages.

LDB

Comment

Aren't the bottles White Labs ships yeast in made of Nalgene? I've been using them for my personal growler for years.
                        Cheers & I'm out!
                        David R. Pierce
                        POB 343
                        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Here is a snippet from Packaging Digest's recent article on bottles and cans (just clap your hands...clap your hands.)
                          .........Aluminum beverage cans contain a lining to prevent spoilage and protect beverages from direct contact with the aluminum. A minute amount of BPA is used in these linings; however, the process and conditions of manufacture virtually eliminate the presence of BPA. No BPA has ever been detected in our beverage products in off-the-shelf testing by either the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) or the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). Also, independent studies in New Zealand and the United Kingdom have not detected any BPA in soft drinks. Based on the extensive scientific research available, there is no need for concern about the safety of aluminum beverage cans.
                          With Nalgene and Patagonia and Whole Foods and Wal-Mart ceasing use of BPA, I wondered how Fat Tire could get caught by this. Though if one is to believe Refreshments Canada and Ball Corporation the recent wave of media unrest on this issue should not cause alarm. At least for beer drinkers. IE can linings have not been shown to contain measurable BPA post packaging. And the specific at risk sector identified recently that the scientific community could come to some kind of consensus is pre-puberty. Even in Vermont this would not be an issue.
                          GAWD...plastics really are so good and bad all at the same time its midly maddening.

On the sustainability front here is a snippet from Ball Corporations website on cans and sustainability
                          Aluminum and sustainability facts:
                          * Aluminum cans are 100 percent recyclable indefinitely which is true closed loop recycling
                          * 2006 recycling rate for aluminum is 51.6 percent - the highest recycling rate for any beverage container
                          * Average recycled content of an aluminum can is 41 percent - the highest recycled content of any beverage container.
                          * Since 1970, the weight of the 12 oz. can and end package has been reduced by approximately 40 percent.
                          * Cans are the lightest weight beverage container at 34 cans per pound enabling savings in shipping and handling costs for the entire supply chain
                          * Using recycled aluminum requires 95 percent less energy and generates 95 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than when producing can sheet material from bauxite ore.
                          * The energy saved in recycling just one aluminum can will power a TV for 3 hours.
                          * Recycling 40 aluminum beverage cans has the energy-saving equivalent of one gallon of gasoline.
                          * In 2006, 51.9 billion cans were recycled saving the energy equivalent of over 15 million barrels of crude oil – America’s entire gasoline consumption for one day.
                          * Aluminum helps to subsidize municipal recycling- the scrap value for the aluminum can (per pound) is higher than anything else in the curbside recycling bin
                          * It takes as little as 60 days to turn empty cans in the recycling bin into new cans on retailers’ shelves.
                          I'm leaning towrads feeling good about cans again...But since its not in the budget we'll have plenty of time to consider in investing in the manual canning line....of course now I have to chew on plastic kegs.
                          Last edited by SRB; 04-22-2008, 09:53 PM.

Comment

David- the White Labs bottles do have a cap that says Nalgene, but the bottle I am looking at has a number 1 in the little triangle on the bottom. From what I have read, only bottles with a 3,6,or 7 in the triangle are the ones we shouldn't be using. There is no number on the cap that I can find......
                            Paul Thomas
                            Brewer
                            Sockeye Brewing
                            www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Just to clarify: Nalgene is a company, not a material. Nalgene makes scientific/medical/pharmaceutical plastic containers made of many types of plastics. And they just released a press statement to alleviate your concerns:

"ROCHESTER, N.Y. (April 18, 2008) – In response to consumer demand, Nalgene® will phase out production of its Outdoor line of polycarbonate containers that include the chemical Bisphenol-A (BPA) over the next several months, it announced today. Nalgene’s existing product mix, including the recently launched Everyday line, already features a number of containers made from materials that do not contain BPA."

Everything is toxic to some degree. I guess moderation coupled with awareness is the key. And IMHO "sustainability" is a new happy buzzword without meaning: Unless humans modify their rampant reproductive rates, nothing else really matters. (off the soapbox). Cheers!
                              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
                                .........And IMHO "sustainability" is a new happy buzzword without meaning: Unless humans modify their rampant reproductive rates, nothing else really matters. (off the soapbox). Cheers!
                                It certainly is a buzzword out there. And I agree, population is el nemero uno in the solution sequencing for the ecosystem.. No kids for us. Were happy "cool aunts and uncles"!
                                Sustainability is a word I have been using often since my ecology classes at Evergreen.
                                Im not a one issue kind of fella and I feel that even micro examples of sustainable efforts are important.
                                matt g

Comment

Working...
                                X