Peanut products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peanut products

I'm toying with the idea of some sort of peanut flavored beer. I have seen mixed results out there with some very nut forward beers and some that leave you wondering why they call it peanut butter flavored. It sounds like most of the successful beers are using some sort of deoiled peanut product like PB2 or peanut flour. I also understand that some brewers are using extracts to boost the character. I've read some things that lead me to believe that adding the flour late in the boil might work better than adding it after primary fermentation. Mostly I've had trouble finding anything specific.

So, I'm looking for any and all advice on making a peanut flavored beer: addition timing, boil or after primary, flour vs extract, quantity per bbl, what the TTB will and won't approve, etc.

PB2 will still rob your head retention big time, and it is extremely hard to properly mix with the wort. In my experience you'll never get enough flavor out of PB2 as your only addition. I've heard you can get good results with using peanut butter flavored cereal in the mash, but we've never used enough to actually make a big flavor contribution. Our best results of creating an apparent natural roasted peanut flavor have been when we use a Co2 extracted peanut butter flavoring. We use it at a rate of 50 ml per keg. But it is extremely pricey at $700 for one liter.

Comment

PB2 rehydrated (to a tomato soup consistency) used in secondary works great. But as others have said, doesn't have the peanut butter blast you'll be looking for. I also use Watkins Peanut Butter extract at packaging time. They both make a great combo and I have not had any head retention issues.

Comment

Compliance

Originally posted by plankbr View Post
        PB2 rehydrated (to a tomato soup consistency) used in secondary works great. But as others have said, doesn't have the peanut butter blast you'll be looking for. I also use Watkins Peanut Butter extract at packaging time. They both make a great combo and I have not had any head retention issues.
        Do you happen to have the TTB and manufacturer IDs for Watkins extract? Been looking for weeks and they won't respond to inquiries..

Comment

Allergens

Please be sure to clearly label any beers that contain nuts! Consumers could be hospitalized or die from drinking beer that contains unlabeled allergens. It is your responsibility to produce products that do not cause injury or death. Also, if you are producing a beer that contains allergens, you need a system in place (ie HACCP) to monitor, control, verify, and document that there is no allergen carryover into your other brands. Simply cleaning a BBT that held peanut butter beer is not enough. For more information please watch this and read this.

Comment

update?

Have you brewed the pb beer? what method did you use and how did it come?

Comment

Well I just called JR Watkins and unfortunately they have discontinued the product .

Comment

PB2 after finings are already added and dropped gives me more than enough peanut butter punch. Not too bad on the head retention but yeah, it has an effect so you may want to brew with 15% and wheat and carb up to 2.75 volumes or higher. Works great in a cask as well.

Prost!
                Eric O'Connor

Co-founder/Brewmaster
                Thorn Street Brewery
                North Park, San Diego, CA

Comment

What sort of volumes do you use for PB2 to get a strong peanut butter flavor? I was thinking about adding some at the end of boil and then a main addition in secondary. Any advice on how much to use? Thanks guys

Comment

Re

Choosy brewers choose Jif!

Comment

Working...
                    X