Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milled Grain Enginerding Data?

Hey guys -

Anybody have knowledge of or a source that indicates the shallowest angles that milled grain will reliably gravity feed through a pipe or channel? Must be somewhat greater than the angle of repose on a slope... Maybe it's time to do some simple tests at the brewhouse.

Justin
    Justin Smith

President & Business Development
    Ten Sleep Brewing Co., Inc.
    2549B Highway 16
    PO Box 406
    Ten Sleep, WY 82442
    tensleepbrewing@gmail.com
    www.tensleepbrewingco.com
    www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Ok, somebody just take a guess
    Justin Smith

2549B Highway 16
    PO Box 406
    Ten Sleep, WY 82442
    www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Comment

The large grist silos I have worked with have had an angle of, I am guessing, about 60 degrees. Unfortunately my books are buried at present following a move, so I don't have access to the malt handling and milling books which will probably have this info. According to wikepedia (of course) wheat flour has an angle of repose of about 40 degrees, so the walls need to create a cone less than 100 degrees, so 60 to 70 degrees seems about right for emptying without physical intervention to knock it off the walls. Intrusions in the grist case are a recipe for sticking malt.
      dick

Comment

Might try ABM equipment. They have been very helpful with our auger system.

Comment

Thanks a bunch gents. I can maintain a reasonable cone on my grist case, I'm just taking a swing at what I'd need to gravity feed from there to a hydrator above my mashtun. (And implicitly hoping I can gravity feed through a hydrator.)
          Justin Smith

2549B Highway 16
          PO Box 406
          Ten Sleep, WY 82442
          www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Comment

Working...
          X