Micros thieving kegs from other micros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mad as hell, not taking it any more

You don't offer a reward for good behavior. You punish bad behavior. God I hate the 21st century. This whole thing can be totally controlled at the distributor level. They should be responsible for making sure we get our kegs back. They deal with the accounts who are at fault. Who lets scumbag, Inc. steal the kegs? The guy at the bar who watched him walk out with it. If the distributor would then charge the bar owner $100 per stolen keg (that's right I said stolen), this would end. Why haven't the brewers guilds or the brewers association taken this up? I have certainly spoken with our Oregon Guild about it. None of 'em will touch it. Why?

The one thing I have enjoyed about this business is that brewers are a fraternity more than we are competitors. Why won't we all get together on this? It should be illegal for scrap yards to buy kegs the same as it's illegal for them to buy railroad rails, highway signs - guardrails, etc. Why won't any state take this on? I'm telling you folks, until we all band together and put our collective feet down, we can bitch all we want. This won't end.

I have not been able to secure a distributor because of this issue. Fine. I'll distribute the product myself. And If my kegs are stolen, the account owes me $100. It's on all the paperwork that they sign when I deliver. My kegs all come home! I have seen thread after thread about this. Let's all stop whining and do something.

Drink more beer,

Ken Johnson
    Fearless Brewing Company

Comment

Sling-em up I say

One note on the scrapyard thing, is that some european brewers send their kegs over (with beer to be sold in them mind you) not to get them back. They send over the old out of date beat kegs in their opinion. I have bought these in the past, once the brewer reassured me that was the case and not a money hungry distributer to lazy to send them back. I was told that it is more costly to send them back than ditch them at the end of their lifecycle.

On the other note "Burn em, Burn em, they're Witches I say" Out the Bastards . It happens I know it and can't stand it. I thought We had more scrupples than that, but I also didn't think one brewer would rip off another brewer when buying used equipment either. Let me rephrase that to breweryowner and not blame the brewer that brews the beer. It makes me sick everytime this crap goes on and we feel that we would hurt our industry to blow the horn, but it's getting out of hand at times. I say out them with proof, we don't need a slander suit here.

Cheers,
      Matt Allyn
      Voodoo Brewery
      Pennsylvania
      Last edited by VoodooBrewery; 08-21-2006, 03:58 PM.
      BrewerAllyn

Comment

Thieved kegs vs reconditioned old sold kegs

I have bought used kegs from Sabco...most are Ol' Hamms kegs...some are AB kegs with the brands knurled out.....anyhoo when you buy used kegs, how do you know if they have been stolen or just refurbed decomissioned kegs?

Thanx

mark

Comment

Hello Ken,

Sounds good, the whole self distribution, $100 deposit thing. Unfortunately not legal in some states. We here in Michigan are dictated by statute to sell our beer through a wholesaler, and to charge no more or less than a $10 deposit per keg. Oh, and our tap handle can't be valued at over $30 either. There have been a few attempts to get some attention and change some of these things, but so far to no avail.

Mark, Sabco is a reputable company, I think you are safe buying kegs from them.

Cheers,
          Ron
          Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Working...
          X