Brew Coat for Inside tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brew Coat for Inside tanks?

Hi Everyone and thanks for reading ahead of time.

We purchased some tanks and we just want to be sure that there is no issues with scratches internally or risk of contamination and we heard about this product brew coat.
    BrewCoat is low viscosity, two component, blush free, FDA rated coating for brewery tank linings and potable water tank linings.

has anyone ever used this product? Does anyone have feedback? They seem legit, but if I can't find a previous thread on this in probrewer I am skeptical.

Thanks and I appreciate any help you guys and gals can offer.

Cheers!

Ummm, yeah, DONT do that.
    Assuming these tanks are stainless, Get a metal shop to send someone over to put a nice polish on the inside if they are terribley scratched. Otherwise Clean with caustic and passivate with acid.
    Epoxy inside my brew tanks? Nooooooo.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

This sounds like a very bad idea.

Stainless steel is stainless when exposed to air, even if only occasionally. The oxide/chromium/nickel micro-layer that forms is what prevents the steel from rusting--which is what you're establishing when you passivate.

If you seal the stainless in epoxy, it will rust to the point of failure--and rapidly. America's Cup racers re-discovered this years ago due to catastrophic failure of SS chainplates (things that anchor the guy lines that support the mast) embedded in epoxy-based laminate hulls. They looked very sleek--until the mast fell down.
      Last edited by TGTimm; 08-27-2015, 01:37 PM.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

As has already been said, assuming you have bought stainless tanks, there should be no need to line them. If they need lining, then they are fit only for scrap. Epoxy resin linings have been widely used in the past for lining mild steel tanks, both FVs and more commonly MVs in a refrigerated cold room. This is based on cost, and probably to some extent, strength in the days before knowledge of constructing strong, economic tanks out of stainless was common knowledge. There was also a degree of tradition ("this is what brewers have used successfully for years, blah blah..."). I have worked in a few breweries with the wretched things ranging from circa 200 hl up to 5000 hl tanks. But the stuff is horribly susceptible to cracking and then of course it is a bug trap, and then starts peeling off, and allows the base material to corrode. Oh yes you have to be VERY careful about cleaning conditions to prevent damage to the lining.

In other words, don't go there.
        dick

Comment

Thank you guys. This is why I love this forum. Years of knowledge and a great group. Much appreciated and I'm sure it will help others out down the line.

Comment

Working...
          X