Thread: Carbonation Stone Issues

Carbonation Stone Issues

Some of my carbonation stones have recently begun to underperform and when I put one of them (stone with assembly) in a bucket of water and forced CO2 though it I noticed that the vast majority of the gas was coming out from either end of the stone where it seated between 2 plastic bushings. My question is which part is broken, the assembly, the stone or both. And is there any way to correct the problem with out replacing the stone or at least 'fix' it until I can get new ones in?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Cheers!
    Pete

I picked up a small O ring kit and replaced the nylon washers with O rings. Also, you can dis-assemble them and purchase new washers at Mcmaster-Carr..........my favorite place to shop!

Pete,

the other problem probably occuring is the pores in the sintered stainless are getting clogged up with mineral deposits. If your carb stones are like ours, remove the sintered sleeve or element and soak in a strong nitric acid solution for a few hours. This will clean out the deposits and make them flow like new. We currently do this after every 2-3 uses, your experience will vary depending on mineral content of your water, time spent immersed, etc. Hope that helps!

I would suggest you try soaking your stones in caustic during CIP cleaning of you tanks, rinse and blow out in water bucket and then repeat the same with phos/nitric acid combination (acid 500). This may resolve your problem before taking the next logical step of replacing parts or replacing the carbonation stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beersmith
    Pete,

the other problem probably occuring is the pores in the sintered stainless are getting clogged up with mineral deposits. If your carb stones are like ours, remove the sintered sleeve or element and soak in a strong nitric acid solution for a few hours. This will clean out the deposits and make them flow like new. We currently do this after every 2-3 uses, your experience will vary depending on mineral content of your water, time spent immersed, etc. Hope that helps!
    We do the same thing followed by a reverse flush with HL. I bought a concentric reducer from McMaster-Carr that mounts to the HL outlet on the diverter panel. After the acid soak the stone is blasted clean.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

We have been filling a corny with Acid 5 and HL and pushing (O2) five gallons THRU the stone. Then repeating just with HL. We have been doing this each cleaning cycle. We do not currently use caustic...we use PBW and Im nervous about the granular nature and the possibility of clogging the stone worse..(should we be? even with a vigorous mix I notice granules sometimes)..hence acid 5 then water for soil removal.
    Our cleaning regime seems to work pretty well. And makes sense in a basic way. Unfortunately a couple times after this method of cleaning it has under performed in the serving tank! Even with a pre check in sanitizer..Could this be because of pushing acid thru the stone? Or if it performs with a test run in a sani bucket and not in the tank a separate issue......pressure in the tank?

On the corny acid 5/HL method of cleaning should we continue this method and take care to soak every 3 cleanings..(depending on what we discover with more time with our water and mineral content...minimal build up so far..after 10 months using this water) or should we clean a different way?

thx!