Crown crimp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown crimp?

We're using 66mm, 12 oz, Classic bottles with an Astir 26mm pry-off crown. We use an Ideal Bottle Crown Crimp go-no-go gauge, 1.048-1.150 (inches?) to judge our crimp. Our previous boss had us setting the crimp to pass the 1.130 and not the 1.125, but we're getting complaints (and long have been) from customers that this is too tight.

Since setting the crimp is not something I want to do while running, and leaking crowns would be a disaster, I've stuck with this setting, but I'm wondering what you all set your crowner's crimp to.
    Last edited by TGTimm; 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Well, I got a reply from Dave Meheen and our crown supplier, and it looks like the 1.130 pass is correct... need to tell our customers to quit whining and get a church-key instead of ruining their Bic lighters prying the caps off!
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Crown Gauge on Amazon!

Came across this Crown Gauge called the King Crimp. It is stainless steel and is a Go/No-Go gauge for checking crimp quality. Has 1.120, 1.125, 1.130, 1.135 holes for 26mm bottles. http://www.kingcrimp.com

Comment

Our crown supplier gives us free go-no-go crimp testers. Yours should too.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X