Inexpensive Pressure Gauge Tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive Pressure Gauge Tester

Hey all. Recently built this useful gadget for our QA program.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21729783239_d16567a449_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	193947

Cost us less than $150. Read the rest here.
    --Dean Brundage
    Owner / Unscrambler of Eggs
    Blake's Steaks Sandwich Shop
    (650) 823-3389

Nice DIY pipe bomb!

Really--do you want to take the risk of all that PVC pipe blowing up and sending razor-sharp shrapnel flying? Use threaded pipe and fittings, or soldered copper.

How do you test your test gauge?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      Nice DIY pipe bomb!

Really--do you want to take the risk of all that PVC pipe blowing up and sending razor-sharp shrapnel flying? Use threaded pipe and fittings, or soldered copper.

Howdy Timm,
      Thanks for your concern. If you read the complete post you would have seen that the brass item next to the gauge is an adjustable prv and that we use a bicycle pump to charge the tester (low pressure and easy control). High pressure would certainly be a bad idea. Not only is it dangerous, but you would destroy the NIST certified reference gauge.

This device is also handy for testing your tank PRVs to ensure that they are breaking at the correct pressure.

Happy Brewing!

Comment

Originally posted by AggieBrewer View Post
        Howdy Timm,
        Thanks for your concern. If you read the complete post you would have seen that the brass item next to the gauge is an adjustable prv and that we use a bicycle pump to charge the tester (low pressure and easy control). High pressure would certainly be a bad idea. Not only is it dangerous, but you would destroy the NIST certified reference gauge.

This device is also handy for testing your tank PRVs to ensure that they are breaking at the correct pressure.

Happy Brewing!
        Not to mention any schedule 40 PVC holds over 4 bar easy in sizes under 4 inch diameter.

This is great. Thanks for sharing!
        Last edited by Yeast; 04-01-2016, 04:10 PM.
        I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Originally posted by Yeast View Post
          Not to mention any schedule 40 PVC holds over 4 bar easy in sizes under 4 inch diameter.
          Well, not if it's compressed gas; liquid service is another story. PVC and CPVC shouldn't be used for compressed gas at all, regardless of whether 2 bar or 4 bar is all it would be used at:

Lots of other references exist, including from the pipe manufacturers. The rules may vary by state (I know MI, AZ, WA and TX prohibit for sure, CA indirectly prohibits), but the manufacturer's warning is clear. For example:

The issue isn't the strength of the material, but how it fails, regardless of the cause:

It is recognized that while adequacy of strength is an important element in the safety of a compressed gas piping system, consideration must also be given to the nature of failure should accidental failure occur, whatever its cause.
          In Washington State (and possibly others), you can use ABS, provided it's marked for use with compressed gas.

There was a lot of action about a company called Horner Creative Products, who made a PVC leak tester for underground fuel storage tanks. This is what prompted the OSHA bulletin above. I'm not necessarily saying I think a pressure tester made from PVC, and pressurized to less than 2 bar with a bicycle pump is unsafe...but PVC should not be used for compressed gas service above ground.

Regards,
          Mike Sharp

Comment

you may be horrified to know this exists

I personally wouldn't put 100psi in 4 inch PVC but it's been done by hundreds. modified sprinkler valve discharged.f

it seems like the benchtop tester and these spud guns all have pressure safety popoff valves though, just don't drop them on sharp corners
            I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Juicy, red, raw meat for lawyers...

That spud gun is a lawsuit magnet.
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I am more concerned about ruining the expensive gauge, which as you can see tops out at 30psi. We use a bicycle pump to pressurize the rig and a prv prevents over-pressurizing.

I paid NIST to test it.
                --Dean Brundage
                Owner / Unscrambler of Eggs
                Blake's Steaks Sandwich Shop
                (650) 823-3389

Comment

Originally posted by brundage View Post
                  I paid NIST to test it.

Ouch!

(this message is too short to post--anyone ever hear of succinct replies?)
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Hey Dean, that link doesn't work anymore. Does the guide still exist somewhere? Thanks!

Comment

Here's my pressure gauge tester: http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...alibration-Day!

The digital gauge is ASTM certified--cheaper than NIST, but to the same standards. The entire set-up cost less than $200, took about five minutes to assemble, and won't under any circumstances of normal use have any chance of rupture.
                      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                      X