Thread: What Is Happening!!

What Is Happening!!

Why is my plate and frame filter just sending excessive foam to my brite tank? It always seems foamy, but this time it has gone too far. I filtered for 4 hours, and only managed to transfer 3.5 Bbls. Yes I went through the racking port, it was only carbonated to 12.5 psi (what it always is carbonated too) Please help me before I go NUTZ!!!

Are you maintaining sufficient pressure in the tank you're filtering into?

Are your pressure gauges accurate?

A few slightly disjointed thoughts -

Have a look at the pressure differential between the inlet and outlet of the filter. It should only be one or two psi at the start of the run, and on a small filter I would not expect it to have gone to more than say 5 or 6 psi at the end of the filter run. It sounds to me as if you are not dosing in sufficient powder to maintain a porous bed. Secondly, as already suggested, the receiving tank pressure may be too little, aim for about 15 psi , though if you have carbonated to 12.5, you may be OK a little closer to this value. Are you using filter sheets ? If so, wehn did you last change them ? There should only be a pressure diff of 1 psi after preoating. What powders are you using ? Is it too fine ? Is your beer as bright as it normally is before filtration - dirtier beer will need more powder dosing in line. Is it yeast of protein ( result of poor mashing & boiling normally) Finally what is the temperature of the beer ? It should be no more than 1 deg C, ideally minus 1 deg C

Cheers
    dick