Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half- Filtration

Hey everyone,

I've got a question about filtration. I've got a rye pale ale that I dry hopped with pellets at the rate of a pound a BBL( 15#s of hops). I wanted to serve it unfiltered but even after having it sit for over a week at 33 degrees I can't get the yeast or the pellets to drop out. I did not want to filter because I don't want to lose any of the aroma of the dry hops, but I am now thinking I might just filter 7 BBls and the transfer the remaining amount on top of the filtered beer so it will still be somewhat hazy but not as murky as it is now. Has anyone tried this and if so what were your results.
    thanks
    Kevin
    Last edited by jkblodge; 04-24-2006, 12:00 PM.

Hey Kevin,
    I've done it several times with great results. From my experience (15bbls just like you) filtering the first half gave me good clarity and not filtering the second half left me with that additional flavor and aroma. My advice in the future is to drop yeast prior to dry hopping, this will help alot with clarity and dropping everything out before transfer.

What method are you using to dry hop your pellets, through the prv port?
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the reply! Yes I dropped my hops in throught the PRV port and I will filter through a plate and frame. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,
        Another couple of methods I've had really good success with are using a large muslin bag to drop your hops into via the prv port. Take your large muslin bag insert it into the prv port, holding or restricting it from falling in, fill it with your hops, tie it off, use some fishing line and tie that around the end of the bag. Then hoist it down into the fermenter, the thin line is not problem getting a gasket and clamp down upon it and if it's only sitting there for a wekk or so I wouldn't be too concerned about oxidation ect. The second way which works well is to grind the hops into a powder into a small soda keg with 160 degree water, then transfer it into your fermeter or brite tank.
        Cheers,
        Mike Roy
        Brewmaster
        Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
        5123 Baltimore Ave
        Hyattsville,MD 20781
        301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
        @franklinsbrwry
        facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Originally posted by IncrediBREWmike
          Kevin,
          Another couple of methods I've had really good success with are using a large muslin bag to drop your hops into via the prv port. Take your large muslin bag insert it into the prv port, holding or restricting it from falling in, fill it with your hops, tie it off, use some fishing line and tie that around the end of the bag. Then hoist it down into the fermenter, the thin line is not problem getting a gasket and clamp down upon.
          When using whole hops, I weight the bag with a handful of sanitized S/S T/C caps.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
          X