oxygen: When to say when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there a reason you prefer to be up around 10ppm over 8 ppm?

Most yeast manufacturers recommend a level between 6-8ppm. I literally just confirmed this info from Fermentis today, and used to work for one of the big W liquid yeast companies. (I have had good results with both FYI)

If you are making 16*P or higher wort, I would certainly agree you need more oxygen. Anywhere between the 10-14ppm range with a single addition. But my experience has told me you are actually better off with a 8ppm concentration with a secondary aeration about 12-24 hours after knock out. This allows the yeast to continue cell production a bit longer without creating an over-active fermentation. Slowing down the fermentation gives the yeast a chance to produce more new cells before converting to ethanol production. An over-active ferment early on can actually increase the odds of an early stall.

Interesting side note, BitBurger was able to achieve 14ppm DO with compressed air (not oxygen) using a venturi injection system. It's been a few years since I actually looked at the data, but it was a well written piece.
    Hi, Thank you so much for you reply, I just learnt a lot from your post haha. I was basically just afraid of under oxygenating and as i have no way of testing DO yet I want to be sure I dont under oxygenate. My understanding was that the maximum possible DO was 8pp with compressed air, obviously higher levels are not necessary but are possible if needed and there is not much danger of under oxygenating.

Comment

Originally posted by dieharduscfan View Post
      I have to agree with Unfermentable about only needing a max of 8ppm of compressed air for beers less than 15*P. I won't get rid of the O2 altogether but only use it in the beers over 15*P which can be monitored as normal. But since most of our beers are below the 7.5% range, it seems using compressed air would be the most practicable way of oxygenating the wort on a day to day basis. The last thing I want to do is find out a batch of beer has an off-flavor probably due to over oxygenating(Tossing a batch of beer is my worst nightmare just FYI). Plus, I liked the design from his post. Small but efficient for a small startup Nano brewery which is where I'm at right now. I may change paths once I grow into a larger brewery and start distributing.
      You have to love the beer discussions on here. I've learned a lot from just reading the articles on here vs. seminars and classes. Keep up the good articles...
      Cheers
      Hi,

Thank you for your reply, i am also just a small start up so I am starting to get my systems in place and wasn't sure whether to get started with air or o2. You guys have helped a lot. I think like yourself I am going to get started with a compressed air set up, then later move on to 02. That way I have both set ups in my brewery if anything was to go wrong with one of them I have another option. As we all know things can go wrong at any moment. Always good to have another option I guess.

I like the idea of using air, I also like that filter system on Amazon, just have to find a suitable compressor in my country.

Is there a recommended pressure to send the air or just a visual check in the sight glass is enough?

Comment

Use as low a pressure as you can get by with....

Pressure depends on your hose, fittings, stone, knockout pressure, etc. Just use a regulator that keeps the pressure low and increase until you see the bubbles you want. I'm guessing you will use 1-2 bar pressure. Smaller bubbles from a quality stone are better. I use a long hose and look at the fermenter sightglass for bubbles. Good luck.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Oxygen in a Nano-Brewery

Hey guys, time to revive an old but very useful thread!

We are about to open our 1bbl brewhouse (2bbl unitanks) nanobrewery, and I'm still at a loss of what to do about wort aeration. What do I need to do without purchasing an expensive DO meter? I was thinking some sort of air pump with a filter on it, just pumping through the carb stone on the unitank for a minute or two. Please let me know if you have any feedback.

Best,

Lincoln Slagel

Comment

Working...
          X