Issinglass vs Gelatin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issinglass vs Gelatin

I don't filter any of my beers, and rely on finings in the bright tank to clear up the beers before racking to kegs. Batch size is 40 bbl.

I have been using gelatin mixed into the bright tank, which has been resulting in beer that is less than bright. After racking to kegs the beer is generally crytal clear in about a week. I have not been very diligent with my dosing regime and have changed it from batch to batch.

In a brew pub i was working at i got great resluts with gelatin clearing up 10 - 20bbl in 2 days time. Since this is not the case with my new setup i am making the move to issinglass.

First, has anyone had experience using gelatin in 40 bbl batches with reproducible and acceptable results.

Second, The dosing rate of 1 pint ber barrel for issinlgass seems a little on the high side. That would corespond to 6.25 gallons of isinglass solution for a 40 bbl batch. This stuff isn't cheap!

if anyone has experience with this stuff and can help me out i would appreciate it.

thank,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
    Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
    Elmsford, NY
    www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

I've experienced the same problem with gelatin. At my last job fining 50bbls with gelatin would eventually result in clear beer, but it took anywhere from 3 - 10 days. I'm using isinglass now with great results, but on a smaller system 7bbls in a brewpub. I use 1oz/7bbls added during transfer and have clear beer w/in 48 hours.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Do you use 1 oz of the paste disolved as per instructions or do you use 1 oz of prepared isinglass solution?

thanks for your help

Scott
      Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
      Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
      Elmsford, NY
      www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

I'm using 1oz Allfine and blending it, in a blender, with the cold beer and adding at the start of my transfer.

Comment

Working...
        X