Back injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back injuries

I have recently been diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis and Spondylolysis. While it is hard to pinpoint the exact cause of my injuries (I was home painting a room when my back finally gave out) I was curious if anyone has ever been diagnosed with these or similar injuries due to their time in brewing.

Sorry to hear of the problems. Not sure what these particular problems are. Are they curvature of the spine ???? If it is, I thought that this was a genetically ingerited disease, but like most things I guess it can be exacerbated by poor manual handling procedures.

Plenty of people in the industry suffer from strained backs / slipped discs due to attempting to manouvre heavy weights, such as bags of malt, kegs, but as far as the large companies are concerned, all people carrying out jobs that involve lifting or moving heavy weights normally attend safe manual handling courses, and are generally subject to disciplinary action if they fail to observe best practices. Certainly I have heard of people having compensation claims reduced in light of evidence of poor parctices following training, but equally, firms being crucified if no training is given and or suitable corrective actions taken following hazard analysis.

Not at all sure that that helps at all - except perhaps as a warning to anyone else to get properly trained and follow best advice re manual handling.
    dick

Comment

Spondylolisthesis is an anterior (foward) slippage of the spine and spondylolysis is the fracturing of the neural arch vertebra both usually occuring in the lumbar spine and especially in the L5 area.

I am pretty sure my injuries while work related are not due to poor handling of equipment and goods. I have keg lifts (platform on a winch) for when I have to move the kegs higher then the floor and a dolly for the kegs to get them up to the icehouse.

Comment

Working...
      X