Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl Mill issues

Good morning, or afternoon...

So We have a Engl Maschinen Mill and I have had issues with it for a while. At the present I am getting a gravity of about 1.040 on a recipe that I should at least start with a 1.050 - 1.052 I noticed the crush was off and after adjusting the Mill SLIGHTLY, BOOM powder. The company is out of Germany, so I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this particular mill. There is the main crush adjustment that moves up and down and then there is a small set screw type adjustment. But without any documentation I am at a loss.

Thanx in advance

Camper

I've not heard of this kit, so looked it up on the web. It seems that Prospero sell this manufacturers kit, so I suggest you get in touch with Prospero and see what they have to say about the setup / maintenance etc.
    dick

Comment

Great... thanks man

Comment

If it's a 3 horse Engl similar to mine it was designed to mill anything from soybeans to corn to malted barley. So, being German, you get the choice of adjusting the "Spalt" (gap/opening) from "groB" (Big) to "klein" (Small). You'll want it a little below halfway down and just start running a scoop of malt, check the grind, adjust, scoop, check, etc.. Or one better: get a set of shaker trays. Once you've got it dialed in, take a sharpie and mark that spot!

See this thread for more: http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...mill+gap+havig
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We have one and I can second the above. These mills are designed to do a wide range of milling. Hence even just a slight bump in adjustment can end up being a big difference. Take some time and go scoop by scoop to find out where the sweet spot is. We actually bought ours second hand and the previous owner had a 'range' figured out. Sometimes you might need to nudge it a bit tighter or looser depending on what you are milling to improve efficiency, and by that I mean just ever so barely move it (just a little tap). Recently though I've sort of just left it where it works well and don't have a need to adjust it. Good little mill when it's dialed in.

Comment

i put a piece of micrometer tape on the housing where the adjustment is made. Then tacked a wire
            point to the adjustment handle for indicating on the measuring tape. This lets me make exact adjustments
            during the grind. I will adjust the mill to each malt going through to get the best results. Its so easy to
            adjust this mill your crazy not to take the time to just do it right.

my 2 cents

Comment

Yeah... We have it figured out... Its a great mill. Very touchy. The other day in the middle of milling I guess the handle wasnty tight enough and it moved on me. lol.. But we got it covered. Thanx all

Comment

Originally posted by Firebat138 View Post
                Good morning, or afternoon...

So We have a Engl Maschinen Mill and I have had issues with it for a while. At the present I am getting a gravity of about 1.040 on a recipe that I should at least start with a 1.050 - 1.052 I noticed the crush was off and after adjusting the Mill SLIGHTLY, BOOM powder. The company is out of Germany, so I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this particular mill. There is the main crush adjustment that moves up and down and then there is a small set screw type adjustment. But without any documentation I am at a loss.

Thanx in advance

Camper
                I just started brewing for a new brewery with one and I'm having a similar problem—never used such a touchy mill. The grist is everything you want and don't want at the same time: cracked, uncracked and pulverized to flour, all in pretty even ratios. The brewhouse should be getting about 90% efficiency, but have only gotten about 75% and having to do a prolonged second vorlauf during sparging to deal with the flour in the grain bed.

Are there any fine adjustments other than the main gap adjustment, or tricks in general? Also, did any of you have issues with both untouched grain and flour at the same time? About to take it apart some to see what I’m working with. I miss the RMS I used to have.

Comment

Working...
                X