Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knockout back into Steam Kettle Issue (Kettle Sour)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockout back into Steam Kettle Issue (Kettle Sour)

Currently we run a 3bbl electric system. We do a decent amount of Kettle Sours and Whirlpool additions at low temperatures. As a result we knockout back into the kettle. We are upgrading to a steam 15bbl brewhouse. The manufacturer advised this will cause the kettle to collapse. I understand the physics behind it but is this really possible? Does anyone do this, is it possible?

So your basically saying you recirculate your chilled wort back into the kettle? For kettle sours you'd chill back into the kettle until you hit 120 degrees or so?

I don't see why that would be a problem with a steam kettle, the temperature change would be very gradual, but I'm no engineer.

Comment

One option is to knockout into a sanitized fermenter, and then push with CO2 back to the kettle.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I do this into our 15BBL direct fire kettle with no problem.....not sure if DF or Steam would make the difference but we do it atleast twice a month.

Comment

Recirc back into our 30 bbl steam kettle all the time for a kettle sour. Out the bottom side and in via the whirlpool arm. Cheers
          Joel Halbleib
          Partner / Zymurgist
          Hive and Barrel Meadery
          6302 Old La Grange Rd
          Crestwood, KY
          www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Collapse?

No vessel should ever collapse. I've got no idea why a manufacturer would say this. Especially about a typical kettle. Kettle souring is done all the time like this. What, exactly, would collapse?
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I was scratching my head on this when a saw the post back in January. But now I think it means that without a separate vacuum breaker on the steam jacket, if the steam valve is closed, you could create a vacuum on the jacket when you cool the kettle. But I'm just guessing.

Regards,
              Mike Sharp

Comment

Working...
              X