Anyone use the IDD beer recovery system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use the IDD beer recovery system

Just bringing our new Squire 2 on line and all is working great on the keg washing side and soon I will be starting the keg filling side. We purchased the beer recovery tank that is supposed to take the scavanged beer and put it into a modified keg with a 1.5 TC fitting at the bottom. The idea is collect the beer and put it into a regular keg so it can be used instead of just flushing it down the drain sounds great but as I look at it im not so convinced that what it recovers (mostly foamed beer) is going to be servable. I think it is going to get oxidized and just plain over worked thus making a off tasting beer.

I was hoping that someone else out there had some experience with this system and can tell me the results before I use it
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

I have never used that device (or a similar one) but based on your description I would be very hesitant on using that beat up beer. If you keg off 10bbl, how much would end up in this 'recovery' keg? I am hoping that amout is not material and you can dump it without losing any sleep.

If the answer is some small amount (half a keg? a keg?) maybe put it on tap in your taproom and track how it tastes against your 'regular' kegs. If its not noticable, maybe serve those recovery kegs on site where you can keep an eye on them and know they will stay cold.

Comment

Using our IDD S II without the recovery system or the fill-by-weight, we're getting better yields than we did manually kegging using a counter-pressure fill system. I can't see saving much beer this way, and, since the pressure in the recovery keg would have to be lower than that in the kegs you're filling (about equilibrium pressure), I'd expect the carbonation to be lower than you'd desire.

On the other hand, if you have this system, why not give it a try and let us know--maybe we're wasting beer that cold be recovered.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        Using our IDD S II without the recovery system or the fill-by-weight, we're getting better yields than we did manually kegging using a counter-pressure fill system. I can't see saving much beer this way, and, since the pressure in the recovery keg would have to be lower than that in the kegs you're filling (about equilibrium pressure), I'd expect the carbonation to be lower than you'd desire.

On the other hand, if you have this system, why not give it a try and let us know--maybe we're wasting beer that cold be recovered.
        Not a bad idea but with the cost being $1K for the tank and spare parts I dont want to use it and then say it dont work and I am stuck with it. I talked with Juan (heck of a nice guy) the senior tech there at IDD and he is going to get me the number of a few others that have used it so I can ask there opinion. I am just not convinced it will work that good. i will update the other opinions as I get them
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

Yeah, for $1k, I think I'd skip it. I'm pretty sure I could put together something similar for much less. Please take some pics before you return it--
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
          X