Grapefruit IPA/Dried Peel Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefruit IPA/Dried Peel Usage

I am doing a small batch Grapefruit IPA and have some dried peel. Any suggestions on how much to use? In the boil, or dry in the tank with dry hops?

How much did you end up using? Im debating on going with dried peel or using fresh zest. Fresh is a pain but fruit and labor are cheap in mexico so its not out of the question for only 4-5bbl.

Comment

In 2bbls I dry hopped 2# of Apollo and used 12oz of dried peel. The flavor was great, but I would recommend putting the stuff in bags and hanging it in the tank, or possibly having a filter screen in line when you package. The peel poured in loose didn't fully settle out and kegging the beer was a pain in the ass as a result! Had a couple kegs that had bits of peel stuck in the Sanke, even preventing a good seal. That was fun LOL

Comment

Fresh zest.

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
        How much did you end up using? Im debating on going with dried peel or using fresh zest. Fresh is a pain but fruit and labor are cheap in mexico so its not out of the question for only 4-5bbl.
        I would not use dried only because the amount you need to get the same taste with using fresh.

I use fresh zest and also add the whole crushed fruit to the last five minutes of the boil. I have found that the sweetness of the grapefruit is better this way. Plus I only use two large grapefruit per bbl. More likely your filter system is better from the kettle plus the whirlpool helps keep the fermenters clear of large pieces, so if you run it through a filter it is less likely to clog.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Conversations View Post
          I would not use dried only because the amount you need to get the same taste with using fresh.

I use fresh zest and also add the whole crushed fruit to the last five minutes of the boil. I have found that the sweetness of the grapefruit is better this way. Plus I only use two large grapefruit per bbl. More likely your filter system is better from the kettle plus the whirlpool helps keep the fermenters clear of large pieces, so if you run it through a filter it is less likely to clog.

Brad
          Same here, fresh seems more like grapefruit candy whereas dried peel seems more like actual grapefruit with bit of bitter. We dry hop this with some nobles and need the sweeter flavor to balance the hops.

So are you saying you add everything to the kettle? My test batch was simply dry hopped with zest for. 24 hours and flavor was intense, although that was the equivalent of maybe 1lb per barrel of zest. It all settled when we crashed. But that is a crazy amount of zest. Not really scaleable to 4bbl.

Comment

Fresh zest.

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
            Same here, fresh seems more like grapefruit candy whereas dried peel seems more like actual grapefruit with bit of bitter. We dry hop this with some nobles and need the sweeter flavor to balance the hops.

So are you saying you add everything to the kettle? My test batch was simply dry hopped with zest for. 24 hours and flavor was intense, although that was the equivalent of maybe 1lb per barrel of zest. It all settled when we crashed. But that is a crazy amount of zest. Not really scaleable to 4bbl.
            I have been needing to brew a batch, but now I may take half of it out before adding the fresh zest and fruit; and in the other use dried peels / dry hopped. And maybe even splitting this again into half and trying just fresh zest / dry hopped in the secondary's. (I have a 2bbl system).

Comment

Working...
            X