No announcement yet.

Dry Hopping Overflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a 2” butterfly on a 2” port on top of our tanks at the brewpub. We spund. A 2” to 4” reducer and a roughly 18” section of 4” stainless triclamp pipe. 4” cap on the bottom.

Fill tube with dry hops, flip upside down onto hop port butterfly. Attach and open valve. Viola, dry hop under pressure with no eruptions. Close vale, remove tube, repeat as needed. PRV will release gas sometimes, but provides enough back pressure to avoid foaming.

Have used a slurry brink, “regular” method, and a hop Gun on larger tanks (up to 120bbl). Prefer this for simplicity. Didn’t get much “benefit” from the Gun when considering the cost. Use the slurry and brink for big tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
      We have a 2” butterfly on a 2” port on top of our tanks at the brewpub. We spund. A 2” to 4” reducer and a roughly 18” section of 4” stainless triclamp pipe. 4” cap on the bottom.

Fill tube with dry hops, flip upside down onto hop port butterfly. Attach and open valve. Viola, dry hop under pressure with no eruptions. Close vale, remove tube, repeat as needed. PRV will release gas sometimes, but provides enough back pressure to avoid foaming.

Have used a slurry brink, “regular” method, and a hop Gun on larger tanks (up to 120bbl). Prefer this for simplicity. Didn’t get much “benefit” from the Gun when considering the cost. Use the slurry and brink for big tanks.
      That's a pretty slick little setup from the sounds it it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by istuntmanmike View Post
        Oh, I gotcha. Then I would maybe try adding less hops to begin the offgassing. Throw in a handful, let it offgas a little, repeat until it's blown off. That's kinda what I did on 7-8bbl batches, and didn't experience anything blowing off other than CO2. It didn't take much hops to blow it down to the point that I could toss in the rest because it would pile up on top and not even be adding to nucleation sites to cause offgassing anyways. Then I would close the blowoff valve and hit the bottom with the CO2 bursts, watch your headspace pressure depending on your headspace vol bc there will be extra pressure from the added CO2 as well as from mixing in the hops and whatever is still at the bottom of the tank. You might have to vent some pressure depending on how much more CO2 is going to offgass immediately and how much will be created by the rest of the fermentation. I would let it build up to ~15psi or more (depending on headspace volume), cold crash the beer and have it naturally carbonated by the time it was all said and done.
        Thanks for this. I just brewed another batch in our experimental IPA series. The goal is #1/bbl with 1 playing left and then another #1/bbl after yeast has been dumped (and blows from the bottom with CO2

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post

Nice! That's a +1 for coolness factor. Have a picture? I switched to the brink/slurry method a while ago and prefer it for results, but definitely not for its complexity...
          Dave Cowie
          Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
          Nevada City, CA

Comment

I forgot you had asked for this, and since I don't brew IPA 3 days a week out here it slipped my mind. Pretty basic but works great. Pre-purge with CO2, add hops, flip upside down onto fermenter valve, clamp and open the butterfly. Close when done and remove. Repeat as needed. I keep rupture discs on top of the valves normally for extra protection even though we have PRV's.

Not a lot of room to the ceiling, otherwise I'd use a longer tube and less cycles of hopping. I would also use a valve on the hop side, and go valve to valve, but the space is an issue here in the brewpub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry Hop Tube.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	191528
            Last edited by UnFermentable; 11-22-2017, 03:27 AM.

Comment

dry hopping without adding O2

I like unfermentable's method. but I'm interested in what others do to minimize O2 when dry hopping after fermentation has finished

Comment

Originally posted by bazzamckazza View Post
                I like unfermentable's method. but I'm interested in what others do to minimize O2 when dry hopping after fermentation has finished
                I start to loosen the clamp on my top dry hop bbq port and then turn the co2 on to the tank. I remove the lid with co2 running in through the cup arm and out through the lid. Add dry hops, close lid, turn co2 off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X