Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Hopping Overflow

I wonder how the NEIPA brewers are dry hopping their active fermentation? Waiting until the yeast metabolism slows down (day 3-5), or something else to keep from having overflows?

I dry hop active fermentation (day 2) with 2 lbs / BBL charge in a 5gallon carboy. I understand there must be a substantial difference when using a large vessel (such as 7BBL FV) due to yeast pitch, off-gas volume and other factors. Has anyone figured out a solid way to dry hop active fermentation on large scale, to ensure that we get that tasty yeast/hop oil bio-transformation that makes NEIPAs so wonderful?
    Ryan
    Viridian Brewing Company
    [Brewery-In-Planning]

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I wonder how the NEIPA brewers are dry hopping their active fermentation? Waiting until the yeast metabolism slows down (day 3-5), or something else to keep from having overflows?

I dry hop active fermentation (day 2) with 2 lbs / BBL charge in a 5gallon carboy. I understand there must be a substantial difference when using a large vessel (such as 7BBL FV) due to yeast pitch, off-gas volume and other factors. Has anyone figured out a solid way to dry hop active fermentation on large scale, to ensure that we get that tasty yeast/hop oil bio-transformation that makes NEIPAs so wonderful?
    Probably with a hop cannon, to push the hop slurry in under pressure and without introducing O2.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Is that the cause of overflow when dry-hopping large quantities - the introduction of Dissolved Oxygen? I understand using a cannon has many benefits for dry - but I always thought the main benefit was making it easier to performing dry, or being able to perform dry on a FV with no dry port.
    Ryan
    Viridian Brewing Company
    [Brewery-In-Planning]

Is that the cause of overflow when dry-hopping large quantities - the introduction of Dissolved Oxygen? I understand using a cannon has many benefits for dry - but I always thought the main benefit was making it easier to performing dry, or being able to perform dry on a FV with no dry port.
    I have a DH port that I no longer use after switching to the hop cannon/slurry method. I find it is more effective in getting hop aroma -- quicker too. Certainly more labor intensive then dropping hops in the DH port, but the beer is ready far faster and the aroma infused faster as well.
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

As stated earlier, add a small amount of hops to blow off the extra CO2 in solution. Let the bubbling slow/stop, then add the rest. Haven't experienced the volcano yet. This is on 7bbl scale. 3+ lbs/bbl dryhop

Quote Originally Posted by istuntmanmike View Post
    As stated earlier, add a small amount of hops to blow off the extra CO2 in solution. Let the bubbling slow/stop, then add the rest. Haven't experienced the volcano yet. This is on 7bbl scale. 3+ lbs/bbl dryhop
    Thanks for that. This is interesting - I'm trying to figure out the reason why adding a small amount first would prevent substantial off-gas from the remaining amount of hops dumped in at once. What is the off-gassing caused from in the first place? C02 from active fermentation scrubbing the Dissolved Oxygen out of solution that the hops introduce?

Also - if you don't mind - what brewery do you work for?

Cheers!
    Ryan
    Viridian Brewing Company
    [Brewery-In-Planning]

Nucleation Points

Thanks for that. This is interesting - I'm trying to figure out the reason why adding a small amount first would prevent substantial off-gas from the remaining amount of hops dumped in at once. What is the off-gassing caused from in the first place? C02 from active fermentation scrubbing the Dissolved Oxygen out of solution that the hops introduce?

Also - if you don't mind - what brewery do you work for?

Cheers!
    The fermenting beer has some dissolved CO2 resulting from fermentation. The hops provide nucleation sites for the CO2 to come out of solution. DO has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonBrews View Post
    The fermenting beer has some dissolved CO2 resulting from fermentation. The hops provide nucleation sites for the CO2 to come out of solution. DO has nothing to do with it.
    Thanks for the reply. Would this generally be with beer that was spunded during ferm, resulting in C02 in solution as opposed to only in headspace? This doesn't matter honestly, because with NEIPA we want to preserve all the volatile aromas, meaning that spunding is the way to go. Just curious on if the large concentration of C02 in solution is generally from spunded fermentations.

Thanks.
    Ryan
    Viridian Brewing Company
    [Brewery-In-Planning]

Thanks for the reply. Would this generally be with beer that was spunded during ferm, resulting in C02 in solution as opposed to only in headspace? This doesn't matter honestly, because with NEIPA we want to preserve all the volatile aromas, meaning that spunding is the way to go. Just curious on if the large concentration of C02 in solution is generally from spunded fermentations.

Thanks.
    No. Spunding captures the co2 from fermentation and allows additional pressure to build as a result, forcing more co2 into solution. But without spunding, you still have atmospheric pressure, which means that the fermenting beer will have a little less than 1 vol of co2 without you doing anything to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Makes sense. So the key is to introduce a small quantity of nucleation sites for the C02 egress, let the off-gas finish, and then add the remainder of the hops. Say - 10% first, then 90% after off-gas, for a DH quantity of 3.5lbs / BBL.
    Ryan
    Viridian Brewing Company
    [Brewery-In-Planning]

Makes sense. So the key is to introduce a small quantity of nucleation sites for the C02 egress, let the off-gas finish, and then add the remainder of the hops. Say - 10% first, then 90% after off-gas, for a DH quantity of 3.5lbs / BBL.
    Yeah, that's the idea, but don't overthink it with actual percentages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12