Spear Removal Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spear Removal Tool

Anybody have a suggestion as to who to get a sankey keg spear removal tool from?

Anyone have one sitting around they want rid of?

Thanks in advance for the replies,
    David Rudge
    Half Pints Brewing Company

Sabco has both tools - one for the threaded spears and the other for the lock in spears.

Scott
    Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
    Elmsford, NY
    www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

St. Pats has some inexpensive ones. I've never used them, but apparently they work well.

Ben

Comment

Get the one from Micromatic. $10 or less, less than 10 seconds to open with practice. Not the Micromatic that sells tap supplies, ask them for the # of their parent company in Northridge CA.

Comment

I have to admit being somewhat confused by this thread. I have removed and replaced hundreds if not thousands of sankey spears (that's how we washed our 1/6 bbls). The only "removal" tool that I know of is a keg ring knife used to pop out the lock ring in a drop-in valve. Any knife (if you're careful) or screwdriver will also do the job in a pinch. The tool that I think you are referring to is actually a valve replacement tool. It compresses the spring on the valve sufficiently to insert a new lock ring. I have never had any of the thread-in style valves, so maybe they require a removal tool. I know SABCO sells both keg knives and the replacement tool.

Comment

Beersmith,
            I too have removed a ton of the spears from sankey kegs. I used to use them exclusively for real ale at a brewpub I worked at. The biggest problem I had was getting the o ring compressed enough to get the retainer ring and the spear back in. I figured a tool like the one St. Pat's has plus some handy mini screw drivers would do a better job.

I just purchased used kegs for my brewery and want to make sure my keg washing routine is doing the trick without having to fiddle around with the spears too much. I figure I'd be more likely to inspect the kegs inside more often if it was easier.

Moonlight - you wouldn't happen to have a number for the micromatic guys, would you? The 1-866 doesn't work in Canada.

Comment

Phone # is 818-882-9012 in Northridge, CA. Keg o rings, rubber top gaskets, asst parts available from same place.
              As for compressing the O ring, I have always used a medium-sized pair of channel locks (slip joint don't work) to rotate the valve and to squeeze the metal ring around and around. If the spear has been rotated to fall into the slots, the channel locks will force the metal ring into place as you go around and the O ring will be seated happily. Before I found this tool, I always used a certain sized flat screwdriver...but this tool makes less hassle.
              Last edited by Moonlight; 05-22-2006, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Previous post revised to show phone #.

Comment

Working...
                X