Dry hopping in barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry hopping in barrel?

Interested in dry hopping a few barrel aged brews. Do I throw the pellets in the barrel, or transfer to a secondary tank?

Do you plan on leaving them in the barrel for awhile? We've dry hopped in barrels after fermenting in them, then racked to a small brite. If left too long I would imagine they would start imparting a weird plant matter flavor. After three days at around 60-68F, then crashing in the barrels for 4 days, we saw more than enough hop aroma pickup and I felt like it was still too much contact time.

Comment

We have done it with pellets, for about 2-3 days before racking to bright. At the rate we were using (2 lbs. per wine barrel) it was messy getting them out with a bulldog, since it sits on the bottom where all the hops go. If you have a pump and a hose, I would recommend trying to pump out from the barrel on top of the hops, for less hop transfer to the bright.

Comment

Done it for a few dozen sour barrels.

Toss them in the barrel, wait 5 days, put the barrels in the cold box for 3 days to crash out the hops then transfer out. I transfer with a bulldog(set screw pushed as far out as possible so you don't suck up all the hops) and a diaphragm pump, pushed through a coarse mesh filter. Gets clean enough for bottle conditioning.

Comment

Working...
        X