Condenser from kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condenser from kettle

Instead of a chimney from the kettle and from the whrilpool (20 hl system), I would like to install a condenser constructed of ss tubes with a diameter of 125 mm, the tube will be connected to the top of the kettle/whirlpool and then it will bend down at the side of the kettle. The vapour will condens when it reaches one sprayball sprinkling cold water. The water will go to drain. The system will be constructed so it (in the future) could be equipped with a heat exchanger.
    Anyone who has any opinons about this arrangement?

Why ?? It seems a lot of water wasted unless you are forced to by your local environmental health "police". You are likely to only recover lowish grade heat out of such a system - but use it to preheat the brewing liquor, the extent depending upon the design of your h/Ex system. Don't allow the condensate back in the copper though, whatever happens.
    dick

Comment

I had a similar set-up on my last brewplant (15hl) but with an extractor fan & PHE & it worked very well - if the cool-side liquor was set right, you got very hot liquor back in the HLT.

But I'd also agree with Dick that it seems a lot of effort to go thru, fitting it retrograde.

you might find something useful at the manufacturers website - www.btbbochum.com ?
      cheers
      Mike.
      Merseyside, UK.

Comment

Answer to Dick Murtons question why?!

The brewery is located in an urban area, a small villiage with about 100 citizens. The nearest neibour is about 500 meter away. So compared with for ex. the Calidonian Brewery in Edinburgh there should not be a problem with the smell from the brewery, But...... The health and environmental officer at our local community has an other idea. Thats the reason for my question.

/Björn Falkeström

Comment

I suspected this might be the case. Thanks. Unfortunately then, there is not a lot you can do except comply in some form. Did you get sorted ? I note a couple of suggestions from other people as well.

Cheers
          dick

Comment

kettle condensate

Might active carbon filtration of the kettle steam be an option? Such a set up would not really be aimed at condensing the moisture, but, properly installed, might be able to take care of all of the aromatic volatile and might be cheaper. Of course, this would preclude heat exchange in the future as well.

Just a thought.

Comment

condenser for steam / exhaust

Is the reason for this modification to re-use the heat from the kettle / whirlpool stack, or is it to try and conform with a city ordinance for emmisions? Something like this came with a brewery we a currently installing. All reports are that it simply can not keep up with the amount of steam created from the boil. If you're simply trying to reclaim the condensate and retain some of the heat, I think it'll work well. If you're trying to capture all of the steam and emmisions from a good rolling boil....I'd say you need something extremely big. As for emmisions, we have an afterburner attached to our kettle at our larger brewery that incenerates the aroma of the boil. Talk about a waste! The amount of gas used to power the unit is very large. But at least our neighbors like the smell! Good luck and I hope your brewery doesn't turn into a sauna.

Comment

Condenser

We have a similar issue. Our site plan approval requires us to have a condensing system for our 30bbl brewhouse. I like the spray ball idea (it seems inexpensive if it works) and I also like the heat exchanger/HLT idea, too. Anybody with experience here?
                Cheers,

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X