Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations and suggestions for a microscope

Hello All,

I'd like to get a hemocytometer and a microscope and start harvesting my main yeast line. Any recommendations for an entry-level 400x microscope? Amazon is slopping over with them. Also, is anyone counting cells on a microscope that uses a laptop monitor for display instead of eyepieces?

Thanks,

John
    John Bleichert
    Water Street Brewing Co.
    Binghamton, NY

Hello,

We have been using an Omax microscope for the past few years. It was purchased from Amazon Canada. It works great and there is an option to hook it up to a monitor. Most of the time I just use the eyepieces as I find that easier. Here is the link to it.

http://www.amazon.ca/OMAX-40X-2000X-...ith+Built-in+1....

Comment

if you have the budget for it get a phase contrast microscope. if you're just going to do counting

Visit the #1 online store for premium-quality microscopes and microscope parts. From student to industrial to stereo to compound, get the microscope you need at AmScope. Guaranteed low prices and free U.S. shipping!

something like that would certainly work. They are cheap feeling but the optics are plenty good enough to use with a hemocytometer

you can buy a camera eyepiece separate or in a bundle on amazon likely. a cell phone works great held very steadily to the eyepiece
      I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

wrbQC and Yeast: great suggestions, thanks! I ordered a monocular scope with a mechanical stage (and a bunch of other bits and pieces) from Cynmar. Same price range as those above.

Thanks again!

John
        John Bleichert
        Water Street Brewing Co.
        Binghamton, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Supernaut View Post
          wrbQC and Yeast: great suggestions, thanks! I ordered a monocular scope with a mechanical stage (and a bunch of other bits and pieces) from Cynmar. Same price range as those above.

Thanks again!

John
          feel free to send a message to this account any time if you have questions about microscopy or post it and notify me. I have some cell counting and hemocytometer SOPs if you're interested
          I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

I had the same question and will probably go with a cheap monocular amscope one unless someone gives me good reason not to.

Don't forget to research hemocytomers too. Check this site out. It is a great resource http://www.hemocytometer.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Yeast View Post
              if you have the budget for it get a phase contrast microscope.

Got a link for one of these?

Comment

Working...
            X