• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you're doing well then Scott
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Alright, here I am dragging my thread up again...

We have the opportunity to get an AWESOME location, but one that is much larger than I originally was going for... but... I might be able to work.

Basically, it's 12,500 sq ft with a 3,500 square foot patio... tons of parking, prime location, etc...

As you might imagine - this comes at a price though. The annual rent nugget (after NNNs) would be about $300M. So, to maintain my 10% rent factor, I'd need to generate $3MM of sales. I was looking at about $2MM of sales in a much small (5500 sq ft) location that sat about 250 people... is it crazy to think that a large place like this could generate $3MM? We'd offer a full bar in a location like this, since in a place so massive just selling our beer might be tough.

I think this would be a perfect location to have larger production facility in the back to facilitate off-site distribution, but unfortunately that is not allowed in my state as of press time. Maybe as a long term opportunity though.

Thoughts?

Sorry... I should also say that $M = thousands, $MM = millions... old oil industry habits.
      Scott Metzger
      Freetail Brewing Co.
      San Antonio, TX

Comment

I think it could be done, I would make sure you have ample working capital to make it passed the "1 yard line". However running a place that seats 250 is a large undertaking. I currenlty manage a brewpub that seats about 210. Before, I managed a pub that sat 120. The difference between the two is stagering. If you do enough busines it is easy to keep both working costs down. However when you hit slow times balanceing the larger pub is much harder. When I hit a wierd slow thursday evening and I have 2 host, a dishwasher, 6 cooks, 9 servers and myself I have to make quick decisions to keep my labor cost from going through the roof. Of course sometimes when I cut people we get busy, then food times climb, service is poor and the food is not as good. We do about 2-2.5mil a year, selling mainly low cost items like burgers at 5.5, and a few $5 items because we are near a university. If your menu has some higer priced items reaching the 3 mil mark would be easier.
        But if the location is great the possibiltes in a larger space would be a huge plus. Also you will have more oppurtuintis to grown, expand etc.
        Currently I am staring my own brewpub and we are looking at 120 seats, plus a billards/shuffle board room that will have room for about 20 more. This is the number I feel comfortable with managing as my first start up. Both my wife and I have good amounts of management experience. As we are new to the market we need to make sure the service is the best in town, the food is consistent and unique, and the beer is the best possible. Also we as owners plan on being that familiar face we you come in.

I can give you a bucnh more information if you are interested. drop me and email if you want narzner@yahoo.com

nick

Comment

Since this thread seems to get pointed to quite a bit when other start-up threads pop up, I thought I'd provide an update.

We have a signed lease, construction drawings are being drafted and everything is on schedule for a Spring 2008 opening. We've gotten some good press in local media as well as sites like BeerAdvocate, and the are is definitely excited to drink our brews.

Many thanks to the folks who have chimed in here.
          Scott Metzger
          Freetail Brewing Co.
          San Antonio, TX

Comment

Logo looks very Stone Brewing induced.

Comment

seattle start-up

Hello - I am new to the board and live in the Seattle area. I would like to know if anyone on the board (who lives in washington or the northwest) thinks that the brewery industry is saturated in this city. I have been thinking about a start-up, but afraid that there is too much competition. Thoughts?

Comment

Money

So how did it go with the banks? What did you have to do to get the money?

Comment

Working...
                X