fermcap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fermcap

Never used this stuff but I have a liter sample. All I want to do is control boil overs in the kettle. I don't filter our beer but I do use silica and biofine in my serving tanks. (draw from the side). Will this product in any way effect my head retention in the finished beer? I normally use a silicone defoamer but thought I'd use this stuff if it works. My big issue is how it will affect final beer head retention. 7 bbl brewhouse unis too serving tanks. No filter, no bright tank. Thanks
    JS

Hello John,

It shouldn't, if used at the recommended rates. I use it (have for years) and have fantastic head retention. (Oak aged, bottle conditioned, Franco-Belgian-American Ales)

Please feel free to give me a call if you have further questions on use rates and applications.

Any time John!

Cheers,
    Ron
    Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Hey Ron-
      I just used a sample of this as well, in an Imperial IPA, trying to reduce krausen and beer lost to the floor in blowoff...
      What dosing rate are you using? As I recall, the recommended dosing range was pretty wide - I used 1oz. (diluted in a spray bottle) just before boil start and another oz. in the whirlpool.
      Quashed the boilover potential pretty well, but the krausen was as aggressive as ever.

Cheers!
      Pat
      Diamond Knot Brewing Co.

Comment

Be careful when adding to the whirlpool because you will notice that the stuff stays at the top of the wort and if you add it at the begining of the whirlpool you may lose some that sticks to the side of the kettle. I have better luck adding it just before the end of knockout (to the fermenter). It can be tricky depending on how your outlet is situated because it floats and will be the last thing to get sucked up, mine barely gets sucked out before I have to stop the pump. I have had good results killing the krausen in the tanks. You can add a bit to the blowoff bucket if your still getting blow off.
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

I used it in my open-top fermenters, adding it after finishing the wort transfer. Works great, no problem with head retention. It doesn't mix with the wort, just floats on top. If I was using unitanks, I'd probably add it when I was adding my yeast...

I never used it in the brew kettle, mostly because I never thought of it (duh!), but I reckon it'd be fine there, since, as noted above, it floats on top.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

John,

I have a similiar set-up, 7bbl uni's to serving tank, not filtering and fining and racking off the side. I've never had an issue with Fermcap affecting head retention, although I was skeptical at first. I add it to the kettle prior to boil and it works great I never worry about boil overs. I've added it to the fermenter, but it never really controled the krasuen or increased yeilds.

Cheers
            Dave

Comment

Hello Pat, and all,

Similar to Tim, I run open fermenters, so if I need help during fermentation, I just mix a little (1 oz / pt.) in a spray bottle and spritz the top.

In the kettle, I add roughly 30 g / 10 BBL mixed in a pt of filtered water, just prior to boil as Dave does, and if I need a little help during a very vigorous boil, or when adding hops or kettle finings, say, I spritz the top with the above mentioned mixture. It really works well, and I think everyone without a boil over protection switch on their kettle should think about keeping a spray bottle on the platform for just such a use.

Cheers,
              Ron
              Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

I think the stuff is magic. We use it in the kettle and also in the fermenters on beers that will be filtered. It allowed us to fill the kettle and fermenters about 20% more. We had excess headspace in our bright tank anyway so it was like adding another fermenter for the price of about a gallon a month of Fermcap. We use about 36 gm per 10 bbl in the kettle, and only about 16 gm in the fermenters, mixed with filtered cold water.

It did not seem to affect head retention. It did seem to slightly increase hop utilization, based on taste tests only.
                Linus Hall
                Yazoo Brewing
                Nashville, TN
                www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Okay, so the consensus I'm getting is "This stuff ROCKS", right?
                  "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

It does ROCK and can assist in maximizing brewhouse/tank capacity. I have always used it as a kettle or whirlpool addition without problems. I think hot side addition is a better solution as it effectively pasteurises the product and mixes well with the hot wort. Post brewhouse additions seem a little risky from a microbiological perspective.
                    Mike Jordan
                    Brewmaster
                    Boxing Cat Brewery
                    Shanghai, P.R. China
                    michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Hot side addition is best but we are using such small amounts it is very easy to throw it in a flask, boil it for a few minutes, chill and add with yeast or through the prv. It is magic when you look at just how little of this stuff will do the job!
                      Big Willey

Comment

So, where did you get your sample? I might like to try some.

Comment

Im not sure who makes Fermcap but Birko sells Antifoam which I believe is the same thing and is what I use.
                          Big Willey

Comment

I get it @ Crosby & Baker

Comment

JUST SHUT UP AND BUY IT ALREADY! EVERYONE! IT"S A MIRACLE ADDITIVE! REALLY! I have found an increase in head retention, and I don't have boil overs anymore! It's thick, like milk of magnesia, or elmers glue. I just put it in a white labs yeast "growler" add some RO water, shake it up, and add it before my kettle reaches 212. The difference is unbelievable! The stuff is pretty cheap when you consider the amount you need per 10 Bbl, and the time you will save not having to nurse your kettle throughout the hot break (I used to spend at least 20 minutes f-ing with the steam valves, and hosing down the wort to keep the beast from gurgling over).

Comment

Working...
                              X