Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
    Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

The Foam keeps getting thicker

I was referring to myself, but Jam On!!
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

Fermcap S, or Fermcap AT?

What's the difference? And who is your supplier?
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I get FermCap S from Crosby & Baker. I really don't know the difference, they are both the same chemical...Dimethylpolysiloxane.

Here is the Data Sheet for S from BSG:

FermCap AT:

Jeff Byrne

Comment

Scoop The Poop!!!

I Use An 8 In. Strainer Scoop The Poop Just Before The Boil,no Boil Problem Here

Comment

Thanks! I like the idea of using this stuff to keep us from getting burned. Also would like to see whether it can give me better foam/lacing in the glass. I have no problem with Fermcap, but will not use PGA. Cheers!
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

It "should not" affect your beer post Fermenter, it is supposed to attach itself to the cell walls of the yeast and drop out when chilled, filtered, or fined. That actually makes me curious about its use in an unfiltered beer any thoughts on that??

My $.02 on foam stability/lacing, bung your FV's!! Don't waste that precious Co2 that the yeasties are making for you. I attach a Barby-Kuhner on the third day of fermentation and consistently get 15 PSI in the FV and at least 1/2 to 3/4 of my gas in the beer before it makes it to the BBT. I get great head retention and beautiful lacing.
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by JoeV
                  I know this stuff works great and supposedly doesn't remain in the beer after filtration but I just can't help feel a little dirty adding a synthetic oil to the beer. Are there any non man made alternatives?
                  Botanix makes a hop oil antifoam, http://www.botanix.co.uk/html/lipohop.html

Does anyone here have any experience with it?

Comment

Originally posted by brewery master
                    I Use An 8 In. Strainer Scoop The Poop Just Before The Boil,no Boil Problem Here
                    Do you mean you scoop the foam off the top just before boil and that prevents boilovers?

Comment

It is wise to scoop the foam that accumulates on the top of the wort just prior to boiling. THese are fine protein particles that add to chill have in your beer. Your filters will thank you if you use them.

Fermcap is an awesome product. I add it directly to my fermenters if the krausen gets too high. I just drop it onto the krausen during vigourous fermentation. and it reduces the height of the krausen quickly.

Comment

Guess this answers my question about unfiltered beers....

From the BA Forun Today:

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:14 PM
                        Subject: Re: Experience with Fermcap S

Hi Brandon,

Brewers should not use silicone-containing antifoam for unfiltered beers. The FDA allows active silicone to be used up to 10 parts-per-million (ppm) but stipulates that the silicone must be removed prior to packaging by either filtration or centrifugation. In the case of unfiltered beers, use a food grade, non-silicone antifoam. We sell a food grade, canola oil based antifoam that works well for this purpose and has an added benefit of being yeast-friendly at the same time. Look for my article on antifoams in the brewery in the July/August issue of The New Brewer. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this or any other matter further.

Cheers!

Dana Johnson
                        Brewery Technical Representative
                        BIRKO Corporation
                        Henderson, Colorado
                        Birko provides an integrated approach for complete food safety solutions. Eliminate pathogens. Reduce risk. Improve sustainability. Preserve taste.
                        Last edited by Jephro; 05-20-2009, 02:27 PM.
                        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by Jephro
                          Guess this answers my question about unfiltered beers....

From the BA Forun Today:

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:14 PM
                          Subject: Re: Experience with Fermcap S

Hi Brandon,

Brewers should not use silicone-containing antifoam for unfiltered beers. The FDA allows active silicone to be used up to 10 parts-per-million (ppm) but stipulates that the silicone must be removed prior to packaging by either filtration or centrifugation. In the case of unfiltered beers, use a food grade, non-silicone antifoam. We sell a food grade, canola oil based antifoam that works well for this purpose and has an added benefit of being yeast-friendly at the same time. Look for my article on antifoams in the brewery in the July/August issue of The New Brewer. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this or any other matter further.

Cheers!

Dana Johnson
                          Brewery Technical Representative
                          BIRKO Corporation
                          Henderson, Colorado
                          www.birkocorp.com

I hear only the best from your product.
                          Cheers
                          Fred

Comment

Working...
                          X