wort oxygenation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wort oxygenation

I need to give my wort a bit more oxygen. I have not set up a system for doing so. Several years ago I brewed in a house that used an inline system and I would like to duplicate that. My problem is I don't remember whetther the set-up I worked with utilized a steril filter or used steril air. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has worked with an in-line sytem whether it be pin point or with a carbonating stone.

Thanks

Check this one out at:
    www.parts.jvnw.com "Oxy Carb Tee Assembly"
    This is the one i have now with a sight glass on the out side, works just fine.
    Jeff
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

I just got a new one from GW Kent that I like because the scintered stone is on the entire inner part of a 2" section of stainless tubing with a sight glass. It seems that the greater surface area would give you better absorption but I had used the JV style for years without any problems until the stone cracked (after 9 years).
      Big Willey
      "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Oxygenation.

I went ahead and ordered the unit from GWK. I've been told to use "sterile " air or use a filter with a small compressor. Question is - which one is easier/cheaper and correct. Any direction or opinion would be greatly appreciated.
        Last edited by cdoe; 06-15-2006, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I just purchased one from GW Kent also, I'l just going to slave mine onto a O2 cylinder from my local beer gas guys -- it'll have the "medical" regulator on it and I'll push 5 liters/min. into the chilled wort at KO.
          Your mileage may vary
          "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Hello all,

Medical grade O2 or no, I would recommend putting a sterile filter in line before your stone. Put it in such a place where you can easily see it, check its integrity, and change it out on a regular basis.

Cheers,
            Ron
            Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

I like the unit from Kent a lot, it really helped with FGs. Nice to have a stone you can oxygenate the heck out of wort with. Careful with the glass though, broke ours cleaning it and Kent didn't have replacements at the time.

Comment

Looks like folks are pleased with GwKents stone...Jephro I also have looked at JVNW's.....
                kents price is a tad better....but. With the system we have now we are able to take the stone off of the assembly and soak in acid when needed.
                wKent told me that is not possible with theirs. What steps are folks using to clean the kent stone system. Jephro JVNW's looks like it could be easily broken down and soaked in acid if needed. ???

thx!

Comment

Working on a different system now, but still have a similar setup. Between breakdown and cleaning i will restrict the out flow on the exchanger while cleaning and attach a hose to the stone. The positive pressure on the stone forces the cleaner through the stone and out the hose.
                  Jeff Byrne

Comment

Hey,

Sterile air is OK to use; just go compressed air system -> particle filter -> carbon filter -> sterile (0.2um I believe) and then an additional sterile which can be steamed or replaced (check out the Pall Kleenpak filters - plastic with triclover fittings, use them and then get them autoclaved).

If you need to get more O2 in wort you can also collect the wort under pressure (1 bar) - minimises foaming and also increases solubility.

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Working...
                    X