sanitizing new botlles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanitizing new botlles

Hi, I'm just started brewing professional and I found out not every brewer find it necessary to sanitize new bottles, assuming they come clean from the factory.
    What are your thoughts about sanitizing new bottles?

Do you really want to take the chance that the first time someone buys your beer, that they taste an infected bottle? Assuming you have sanitizer on hand for other uses, kinda seems like a no brainier. Even if the bottles come in upside down and cases shut, there is plenty of time for bacteria and wild yeast in the air to settle into them when you load them into your bottling setup.

Comment

we run a sanitizer rinse of ppa measured out to about 200 ppm for our bottles 30 secs always seems to work for us
      cheers matt

Comment

You need to at least rinse the bottles, even if you think they're sanitary. We use a weaker-than-normal solution of PAA to rinse the bottles, and at the end of a run you can see why: the bucket the rinse water cycles back into has lots of bits of debris and shards of glass left over from the bottle manufacturing process.

Comment

I thought so, and I wasn't thinking of not cleaning myself.
          Stupid question maybe, but 200 ppm of Starsan, is that not the same as 200 gr/liter?
          And isn't that way more than the recommended 1 ounce per 3 gallons (2,5 gr/liter).

And how about the caps, does everyone soak them as well?

Comment

Working...
          X