Query on brewing 60HL batches on 20HL system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query on brewing 60HL batches on 20HL system

We're in the process of deciding on a new 20HL brewery that I hope to eventually triple batch within a day to brew 60HL a day. I'm pretty set, but would appreciate some second opinions, or pointing out where we're going wrong. Will only be brewing ale other than perhaps the occasional lager.

The plan is to start with a 3 vessel brew house to include 20HL MT, LT, Kettle/WP, and a 60HL HLT. We plan only to brew once a week to start into 2 x 20HL FV/Uni and 1 x 20HL BBT allowing 18 or so days per batch. Once in the position we then plan to purchase 2 x 60 HL FV 1 x 60HL BBT to allow for a further 60HL brew per week/ every other week or so to start as demand grows.

All being well we would then look to expand the brewery with another 20HL whirlpool and possibly a 20HL wort buffer (if needed) and 60HL FV's and BBT's looking to brew 60HL a day, 5 days pw.

We plan on starting with 1.5 brew staff which will expand, but I'm hoping to keep the 20HL triple batches within a reasonable working day.

The only other thing I guess worth mentioning is we would brew higher gravity brews (around once a month) at half batches if necessary, double batching into 20HL, most of these would then go onto barrels. As the 20HL FV's and BBT become redundant they would be dedicated to this.

I realize it seems very optimistic to scale up this way from starting with 20HL a week it will allow for future expansion and ultimately maximize on the brewery and space we have available. At the minute we probably have demand for around 20HL a week, so Hopefully see us hitting 60HL pw by 2nd year/3rd. The benefits of this are that if we are brewing say 20HL x 1 pw and 60HL x 1 per week it leaves 3 days for other operations, as a pose to 4 x 20 HL pw leaving only one day.

I've been bitten by under sizing in the past, so hoping this will see us through for some time. The only real downside I see is being limited in the variety of beers we could brew to start with.

Any opinions, views, ideas are most appreciated.
Working...
X