What is the value of brew school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,
    I got my diploma from the ABG in July 2001, and am quite happy as to where it's gotten me. I don't know if you can ever have enough brewing education, but it's certainly helped me think through some rough problems.

There are working brewers in your area who have also taken the course, and you may wish to get in contact with them.

At Southampton Public House, Chris Eggert graduated in the same class as me. Hello, Chris if your reading this!

Happy brewing,
    Dave Rudge
    Bushwakker Brewing Co. Ltd.

Comment

Thank you for responding. Just a general question: Did the ABG give you practical skills with respect to working in a brewery or was it more of a scientific education. Ie were there lessons in the usuage of the equipment of the brewhouse and the various issues involved such as storing finished product, waste water management etc or was it more along the lines of how does yeast ferement the wort?

Thanks

Comment

Obviously nothing beats the experience of actually brewing on an ongoing basis, but the ABG courses do give you one week on site at a brewery. I only did the IBS & E course because that was all I could afford to do at the time. The Craft Brewer's Apprenticeship course offers the 5 weeks at a guild approved brewery if you choose to go that way.
        We worked at Hoppy Brewing Co.
        Yummy kettle chips & yummier beer! Check out the web cams page.
        The 21 weeks you spend before hand is all about the science, engineering, & essentally, theory of brewing. The ABG has a course outline you can check out to see what you're in for. I found it fairly comprehensive.

Just my 2 cents,
        Dave Rudge
        Head Brewer
        Bushwakker Brewing Co. Ltd.

Comment

Working...
        X