Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diluting strong stout to porter-like for festival

Hi,

I'm brewing beer for an upcoming 3-day music festival.
    To be able to serve a few different beers I was thinking of boiling a few liters of water with additional hop and dilute part a strong stout which is already in secondary, to lower the alcohol content.

Is this a dumb idea?

Hey, if its already in Secondary you don't want to be opening up and adding hot water. I would recommend if you have a sight on the tank and can see the volume to add water from your HLT via the heat exchanger. Just put hot water through the line leave for a while before to sanitise. So hook up your HLT as if you were transferring to tank and put cooling on the water going through the Heat X and measure from the side of the tank. Works better if you have the cooling water from your heat x going to the drain instead of cooling your HLT.

Should give a better result for the volume you want to blend in. If you are really worried about DO you can also add CO2 in line if you have a stone in line.

Other idea is fill a keg with Hot water and add Hop oils, put CO2 on the keg and once cold push that into the tank. Depends how much water you need to add. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andrew

Voss Bryggeri

Comment

Originally posted by Rathers View Post
      Hey, if its already in Secondary you don't want to be opening up and adding hot water. I would recommend if you have a sight on the tank and can see the volume to add water from your HLT via the heat exchanger. Just put hot water through the line leave for a while before to sanitise. So hook up your HLT as if you were transferring to tank and put cooling on the water going through the Heat X and measure from the side of the tank. Works better if you have the cooling water from your heat x going to the drain instead of cooling your HLT.

Should give a better result for the volume you want to blend in. If you are really worried about DO you can also add CO2 in line if you have a stone in line.

Other idea is fill a keg with Hot water and add Hop oils, put CO2 on the keg and once cold push that into the tank. Depends how much water you need to add. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Andrew

Voss Bryggeri
      Thanks Andrew, I was absolutely thinking of running it through the heat-exchange, I bottle condition and transfer from secondary to a bottling tank.
      I thought of first filling the bottling tank partly with (cooled) down water and then add the stout.
      but I din't think about filling the kegs partly with water (I use keykegs and keg-condition), which might be a better solution.

Comment

Hey.

I would personally go for the water at the bottom of the tank or blend in for a more consistent result. I would probably not put the water into the keykegs because it will give inconsistent results with one keg being better or worse than another.

We use keykegs too but we also have open top tc kegs for yeast that when cleaned and sterilised can be used to add a set volume (50l or less) to the tank - we use it for cold brew coffee for one beer. Thats what I was meaning with kegs. If you have the volume and can add to the bottling tank that works.

Comment

Is this thinned down Stout going to have your brewery name on it? I don't know that it will pass as a Porter, but that is your business you are talking about...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M View Post
            Is this thinned down Stout going to have your brewery name on it? I don't know that it will pass as a Porter, but that is your business you are talking about...
            If it is not good I won't serve it of course, I will first have to do a taste test. And no, it won't be a porter, that is why I wrote 'porter-like'.
            But sometimes you have to be creative in trying to meet the wishes of the customer (in this case finding more variety).

Comment

I would rather blend it with a lighter beer than add water. The few times I have tried that, the beer just tasted thin and watery. 2cts.
              Cheers, David

Comment

Originally posted by panadero View Post
                I would rather blend it with a lighter beer than add water. The few times I have tried that, the beer just tasted thin and watery. 2cts.
                Cheers, David
                Thanks David, a word from experience is always welcome.
                I do have a light beer in the the primary almost done fermenting (something totally different thought; a Belgian blond), I could mix the two and see if I end up with something tasty. You never know, I might be on to something

Was your bad experience with adding plain water, or 'hopped' water?

Comment

I agree that you would be better off blending with a lighter beer. Belgian Blonde sounds like an interesting choice, I think it would turn out nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X