Thread: Is it possible to re-bottle or can beer?

Question Is it possible to re-bottle or can beer?

I am very new to this whole process but am trying to learn as much as I can. I have been reading a few home brewing books and am very anxious to get started. However, one question that I have been wondering about is if it is possible to re-bottle beer after it has been opened. Alittle background on my question is that I usually will add cherry flavoring such as the cherries that you find in a grocery store when I drink a beer. However, I thought that it might taste better if I were to add this juice to the beer after it was finished and rebottle it and let it sit with the flavoring in it.
    So I guess my question is 1. is this possible? 2. Would it cause the beer to ferment further causing the bottle to explode because of the sugar in the cherry juice? I would be adding this in a sterile bottle and mixing tank at least the way I am picturing it. Is it possible?

Thanks so much sorry if the question doesn't make sense.

CHEERS

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just add cherry juice to your drinking vessel?
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

I can do that, however I was just wondering if there was a way to do it so that I could re-bottle it. Wanting to see how the taste would turn out. Like I said I don't know all the technical aspects, but I know that sugar can cause an excess amount of pressure in the bottle. I wasn't sure if you could just take beer mix it with some cherry syrup and rebottle it. The beer would already have been a finished product once. hopefully that clears it up a bit.

secondary ferment

Sounds like your 'new product' is taking off Corey. Good luck with the cherry juice beer.
    Here's my two cents. If you have yeast in the beer and the beer is left at a temperature that the yeast can actively ferment, you will get a secondary fermentation and yes CO2 production.
    If the beer is filtered and cold, or unfiltered and cold, you will not get any significant fermentation/pressure. This is the basis of many brewpubs (including my own) fruit beers. Add a flavoring(sometimes including a certain amount of sugar) to an already finished beer. So, keep it cold or filter it and you won't have a problem.

As far as rebottling-this doesn't sound like a good idea because A) you are going to lose all the CO2 in the beer B) you might have a foamy mess and C) you've just introduced another spot for oxidation and contamination.

The best way do do what you want-I think- is add the flavoring to a keg or bright tank, add finished beer, and then bottle.

Simple answer - don't go there

it would be a nightmare, unless you have to do a case or so. plus the risk of infection/oxygen would be great