Insulating Unitanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating Unitanks

We are in a hot tropical environment and are having massive condensation from our unitanks (and crash temp issues). Our tanks are custom 5.5 BBL with two zones. I would like to insulate the jacketed coil sections. I am thinking of using 6mm neoprene and stitching together a couple of removable wetsuits for them. Any thoughts on this? Is there another material more conducive to this? Any problems I am not anticipating by jacketing my jacketed fermenters?

You really need to insulate the complete tank wall and dish or cone, not just the jacket areas. I enquired about the thickness of insulation the other day, for a SE Asia setup, which I guess will experience similar temperatures, and got back the reply that 3 to 4 inches, preferably 4, of phenolic foam (with impervious cladding outside) should be used, so on that basis, a single layer of wetsuit material would not really be adequate.

Perhaps you can get some board from a refrigeration company, and cut it up into strips, as I guess there isn't much call for it for household insulation!!
    dick

Comment

Spray Foam Insulation

We have a company in our area that applies spray foam insulation on tanks. We had them do one of our tanks years ago and it worked pretty well. Internet search "spray foam insulation on tanks" should get you some companies to inquire - I can't say if any would be by you. Cheers

Comment

Neoprene may help a bit but just insulating the areas of the glycol jackets won't have as much of an effect as you'd think.
        To do it right you're going to have to find a way to insulate the entire tank - and make sure the insulation is sealed off against condensation/water. If its not well sealed - or improperly fitted to the tank you'll end up getting mold growing between the insulation layer and the tank
        Manuel

Comment

I'm not sure if you ever got this sorted, but I found a guy in Heredia that can do closed cell injected insulation. I have 5 BBL 2 zone tanks as well and it works great. I'm super happy with the results.

Originally posted by PerraHermosa View Post
          We are in a hot tropical environment and are having massive condensation from our unitanks (and crash temp issues). Our tanks are custom 5.5 BBL with two zones. I would like to insulate the jacketed coil sections. I am thinking of using 6mm neoprene and stitching together a couple of removable wetsuits for them. Any thoughts on this? Is there another material more conducive to this? Any problems I am not anticipating by jacketing my jacketed fermenters?

Comment

Working...
          X