Spectrometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrometers

What model are you using? Do you like/dislike it? What did it cost?

Hi there,

We are using a Thermo Scientific Genesys 10UV. I do believe there is a newer model available through Fisher Scientific. We purchased this one second hand from ted Bahns at White Bear Photonics. We have been using it a few times a week since late 2013. We use it to check colour and bitterness. I like it as it is fairly easy to use and does not require a lot of maintenance. It does have an internal calibration function but we also get it serviced by an outside contractor once per year to ensure everything is running correctly. This price is very cheap and the contractor comes to us so we can work it in to our schedule. I believe we only paid about $2500 USD for it.

Comment

Originally posted by wrbQC View Post
      Hi there,

We are using a Thermo Scientific Genesys 10UV. I do believe there is a newer model available through Fisher Scientific. We purchased this one second hand from ted Bahns at White Bear Photonics. We have been using it a few times a week since late 2013. We use it to check colour and bitterness. I like it as it is fairly easy to use and does not require a lot of maintenance. It does have an internal calibration function but we also get it serviced by an outside contractor once per year to ensure everything is running correctly. This price is very cheap and the contractor comes to us so we can work it in to our schedule. I believe we only paid about $2500 USD for it.
      I had the same one, great unit. Robust, cheap, easy to use. More accurate than the sample preps that brewer use too.

Comment

I have to third the recommendation.

We've had the Genesys 10S for about a year. It's been very reliable and consistent. We'd like to do more with it. We're currently using it for bitterness, color and chlorine.

Blankenmier at Stone has done a good presentation on utilizing the spectrophotometer in brewing analysis.

Prior to the Genesys, we used to use a unit from Cynmar (www.Cynmar.com). The Spectrum Microprocessor Spectrophotometer. It's a less expensive unit from overseas. We used them for 6 years but the light source was unreliable. When Cynmar had their tech staff just across the river from us it worked out and we had the support. Once they moved their operations to the coast, we lost the support and we moved up to the Genesys when the light source issues returned.

It looks like the type of unit that is generic and is sold under a variety of brand names. The price on those units seems good at first, but we would have been on to unit #3 in 6 years if we hadn't moved up to a more reputable supplier.

We'll see how the Genesys holds up, but the start is positive.

Comment

Thanks! Instructions?

Thanks, everyone!
          Ted at White Bear has convinced me to buy a Biomate 3 which is identical (hardware) to the Genesys 10 UV, but with some better software.

Now I just need to figure out how to test beer with it. Anyone know of a brewing lab spectrometer guide?

Cheers!

Comment

Hi,

I don't know of a specific lab spec guide but here is a link to methods you can use for testing bitterness and colour.

Learn more about Page Not Found. We enable science by offering product choice, services, process excellence and our people make it happen.

Wendy

Comment

Working...
            X