Why I like to brew on Saturday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I like to brew on Saturday...

Cuz I get to listen to Klick and Klack, the Tappet Brothers, on the local NPR/public radio station during the lauter.

Ha! Laughter during lauter!

Anyone have any other reasons for why you like to brew on Saturday?

Steffan
    Aldergrove Brewery

I do it for all the reasons you list plus: the phone doesn't ring, no sales people to deal with, no fellow employees around. And on Saturday, the stereo goes to eleven!
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I like to brew on a saturday if I can have the next friday off. The problem with brewing on saturday at my brewery is it seems everyone in the area wants to come by the brewery and buy beer, Im the only one there and it gets kinda distracting. But sunday is a quiet day
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

I'm going to start doing some late afternoon/evening brewing just so it's not some damned HOT in the brewhouse
        "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Saturday, wednesday, sunday, whateverday......must brew......must brew....
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I really enjoy brewing on holidays. Some of the same reasons as above: no employees, no customers, no phone calls. And at least on Summer holidays you get baseball triple headers on ESPN!

Comment

We are so busy all day on Saturdays I feel like a monkey in an exhibit at the zoo. Kids tapping on the window, and people staring and wondering, "what's he going to do now". The kids get a kick when i spray the window with the water hose, but so far I have refrained from flinging feces at the brewhouse windows.

NPR and the local community radio station bluegrass hour keep me calm
              Last edited by Jephro; 07-17-2006, 02:04 PM.
              Jeff Byrne

Comment

I stay away from weekends because thats when you are the "fish in the aquarium". Every homebrewer and his brother wants to sell you a recipe! Plus weekends are made for...well you know who!
                -Beaux

Comment

Working on Saturday is great in a micro, nice and peaceful.

Working on Saturday isn't so peaceful in a brewpub!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Ah! Now here's a great topic! It's been a while since we've had some fun here. I'm gonna tell my little story here, then jump into that DUI/Political thread over there.

When I was a brewer at Legend Brewing Company, in Richmond, VA, I used to look forward to working Saturday nights. Even if I knew there was a killer party going on that night or something. Every other week I'd have to work the 4 to midnight shift on the tower. At 6pm, Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion came on the NPR station. At 8pm, there was this terrific local program called the Outta the Blue Radio Revue with Paige Wilson. This guy purported to be broadcasting his show from his kitchen on the Chicahominy Swamp. He played country, blues, bluegrass, folk, cajun-zydeco, rock, etc. He called it "American Mongrel Music." Man, what a time! And we had a kick-ass stereo system with speakers placed throughout the brewery. All alone in the brewery except the brewery cat, Lupulus, and the occassional intrusion by a hotty waitress from the restaurant upstairs fetching a bucket of ice from our machine or telling me a keg was kicked. Good times, brothers, good times!

After the brewin' was done, I'd head upstairs and drink a few beers with the wait staff and cooks.

Sometimes I'd shake my head at the wonder that someone was PAYING me to do that. Mm mm mm.

Cheers, big ears! Hope y'all are doing well.

Yours truly,
                    Tsewong, the Buddhist Brewer
                    Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                    Strangeways Brewing
                    2277-A Dabney Road
                    Richmond, VA 23230
                    804-303-4336
                    www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Sounds like Right Livelihood to me!

Cheers, Tim (a half-assed Buddhist)

Comment

yeah, brother! You wouldn't happen to be involved with Lama Norlha out of Kagyu Thubten Choling would you? I know he has a sangha or two around the Maryland/DC area.
                        Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                        Strangeways Brewing
                        2277-A Dabney Road
                        Richmond, VA 23230
                        804-303-4336

Comment

Naw, I'm down on the shore just outside of Ocean City, Maryland, where folks think that Buddhists are guys who drink Bud!

So far, just been doing some reading:

"The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" by Thich Nhat Hanh
                          "A Buddhist Bible" by Dwight Goddard
                          "Teachings of Zen" translated by Thomas Cleary
                          "An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life" by Dalai Lama
                          "Awakening the Buddha Within : Tibetan Wisdom for the Western World" by Lama Surya Das

One of these days I'll head for civilization and start more formal learning!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Excellent reading list there. I'd like to suggest "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying," by Sogyal Rinpoche. Not really a read-through, but a guide I suppose.

Hey, we should get back to the beer talk before someone's karma gets all out of whack for yelling at us to stick to the beer talk. Causing someone to get bent out of shape over beer talk is not right action.

Who's got another Saturday brewing story?
                            Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                            Strangeways Brewing
                            2277-A Dabney Road
                            Richmond, VA 23230
                            804-303-4336

Comment

... and now, another Saturday...

Okay, here's another reason I like to brew on Saturday.

While I am doing what I love, I get to laugh at all the "nine-to-fivers" who are out mowing their lawns!

Steffan
                              Aldergrove Brewery

Comment

Working...
                              X