Capping a CoolFit Vent/Bleed Valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capping a CoolFit Vent/Bleed Valve?

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cap a CoolFit Ventilating and Bleed valve? Preferably w/o giving GF any more of my money? Turns out when our chiller pump switches off... our headers drain back into the chiller. Thankfully, we found that out when we were only running water through the system to test but I don't want this to happen once expensive glycol is in there.
    Christopher Tkach
    Idle Hands Craft Ales
    Malden, MA
    chris@idlehandscraftales.com

You need to install a check valve at the chiller! and a Strainer too.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

I have a strainer in place on the return... a check valve would only be functional on the supply side as the liquid is flowing out of the chiller. The return needs to flow back into the chiller and if air is getting into the return side via the vent then it is going to eventually drain the entire header.
      Christopher Tkach
      Idle Hands Craft Ales
      Malden, MA

Comment

Those valves should not let air back in. Are they working correctly? I did put a manual valve directly under them so I can isolate for servicing.
        Also- doesn't your circulation pump run all the time? I put a bypass in with a manual valve so that glycol is constantly circulating in the header, keeping it cold.
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
          Those valves should not let air back in. Are they working correctly? I did put a manual valve directly under them so I can isolate for servicing.
          Also- doesn't your circulation pump run all the time? I put a bypass in with a manual valve so that glycol is constantly circulating in the header, keeping it cold.
          Our pump is circulating all of the time but if we loose power (which we will do at some point), we could loose all of our glycol. Hence the need to protect from that. I rigged up a pretty easy solution... cut a keg cap the diameter of the flange on the top piece and place it under the flange before screwing it back down... works like a charm. To vent, all I need to do is loosen the union nut and air will bleed out.
          Christopher Tkach
          Idle Hands Craft Ales
          Malden, MA

Comment

Hi,
            You should put an manual ball valve before the air vent. You bleed air when filling the system and after you got all out you can close the ball valve. This will prevent the header from draining back if you shut down your circulation pump or get a power outage
            You can easily swap the air vent valve for a ball valve because they use the same valve nuts. After that you can solvent cement the air vent to the top of the ball valve.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Dan Strömberg
            Cooling Market Segment Manager
            Georg Fischer LLC
            Phone: +1 714 368 4196
            Fax: +1 714 368 4197
            Mobile: +1 951 642 2339
            Dan.Stromberg@georgfischer.com

GF Piping Systems
            9271 Jeronimo Rd., Irvine, CA. 92618
            United States
            GF Piping Systems is the leading flow solutions provider across the world. We enable the safe and sustainable transport of fluids. Our business is driven by maintaining industry-leading sustainability levels, innovating through digitally enabled solutions, and investing in a culture built on performance, learning, and caring.

Comment

Working...
            X