Wastewater plan question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wastewater plan question

We are starting a 7 barrel brewery near Vancouver, Canada. Our inspectors are pretty picky about what we send down the drain. Here are the effluent parameters that the town requires:

pH - between 6 and 9.5 for a one day sample, between 5 and 11 for two hour sample, and 5.5 and 10.5 for a quick grab sample)

Suspended Solids- 600 mg/L one day sample, 1200 mg/L for two hour composite sample, and 2400 mg/L for a grab sample.

BOD- 500 mg/L one day sample, 1000 mg/L for two hr sample, 2000 mg/L grab sample

COD- 750 mg/L one day sample, 1500 mg/L two hour composite sample, and 3000 mg/L for a grab sample.

Our plan is to side stream as much of our spent grain and yeast as possible (giving it to farmers) to reduce our BOD/COD. For our cleaning chemicals our CIP water will go into a sump (downstream of the floor drains, upstream of the bathrooms) and be pumped into a plastic holding tank to manually monitor the pH and dose it with something to get it in range before sending it down the drain. I'm assuming our pH balance will be much more basic than acidic, so needing to add some sort of acid to neutralize. Has anyone done something like this?? Can anyone recommend a model of plastic tank for our CIP water?

Also, wondering about a solids interceptor. We will try and get our floor drains to have a small catcher at the end with a screen, but wondering if any one has put in a solids interceptor and the flow rate spec I will need on it for a 7 barrel brewery. Any recommendations on stainless floor drains that I can pickup locally in Vancouver? I really like the look of slotdrainsystems.com slot drains with the small catch basin at the end, but are a little pricier than I would like, especially considering shipping.

Any other recommendations for our waste water?

I've been probrewer lurker for a while, appreciate all the info you guys have provided! Thanks guys.

I am also interested in hearing answers on this. We are planning a 7bbl system for a coastal town in North Carolina. I have reached out to the city's water manager, but he is taking forever to respond. I would love to see if anyone can provide their output for these parameters as well. Thanks.

Comment

I finally got the water manager on the phone today. He seems unconcerned with our effluent, but he also seemed unfamiliar with the brewing industry. I told him as much as I could about our possible effluent, particularly the output of solids and chemicals. He said it sounds fine and no special precautions would be necessary. I'm very worried that a year into operation, he's going to come in and test our effluent, and then tell us we need to install some particle separator or something.

Comment

Yeah, the first time you dump a fermenter or two and kill the biological processing bed at the treatment plant, he's gonna change his tune. Or his successor will.

At the very least, I'd plan on a sedimentation/holding tank of at least twice your predicted daily output of WW. This allows for sediment settling and your various alkaline and acid chems will have time to mix and somewhat neutralize each other. The vault will tend to smell and will need to be pumped occasionally, so be careful where you site it. Be sure the vault is plumbed upstream of any domestic sewage sources.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Good advice, Tim. We are going to have a sump upstream of our toilets, downstream of our floor drains that will pump into a holding tank behind our building for pH monitoring and we will dose for neutralization. We will get an engineer involved but I am curious how big of a sump to use so it doesn't cycle too often. Any thoughts or suggestions on sump size and model/brand choice?

Also, wondering if anyone knows of a good supplier for a large plastic tank (preferably in the Pacific Northwest, bonus if in Canada)? I will use this for a buffer tank for our CIP wastewater.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by coastbrew View Post
            Good advice, Tim. We are going to have a sump upstream of our toilets, downstream of our floor drains that will pump into a holding tank behind our building for pH monitoring and we will dose for neutralization. We will get an engineer involved but I am curious how big of a sump to use so it doesn't cycle too often. Any thoughts or suggestions on sump size and model/brand choice?

Also, wondering if anyone knows of a good supplier for a large plastic tank (preferably in the Pacific Northwest, bonus if in Canada)? I will use this for a buffer tank for our CIP wastewater.

Cheers.
            Yup, interested in this, too!

Comment

There is a company in Victor, NY that makes a system to alter the Ph of the water post side-stream. I have their info somewhere but you can probably google them and find it before I remember to look for it. There's also a waste water expert on pro brewer. wastewaterguy I think is his handle. He makes and/or sells or designs small scale systems you guys might be looking for.

Good luck

Comment

Waste water

Hi guys,

The easy way to do this is to put a tank in line with a sump. The sump should be 3 to 5 times the volume you use for your CIP cleaning cycles. The tank should accommodate at least a full brew. The set up should have a vent and a sample port as well as an access port. The septic should tie in after this sample port. The tank should have valves before and after so that it can be isolated in the case you must dump a batch.

As you brew the CIP ph will average out and you should have no problems with ph. It is also suggested that you build a decanting system to remove the trub solids before the liquid is released to your drain. I had this type of system in Airway Heights Wa.

Cheers
                Graydon

Comment

Working...
                X