Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning packaging lines with caustic if beer is filtered and pasteurized

Hi All,

I have a question regarding cleaning our beer lines that we use for our packaging. Currently we use a strong chlorinated alkaline cleaner for our fillers and beer lines after packaging. I am wondering if that is necessary since our beer is centrifuged, filter pressed and pasteurized before any packaging. I would assume the beer lines and fillers would have minimal soiling since the beer is brite going through packaging.

Could we be using an acid wash instead since the soil load should be minimal after a rinse at the end of the packaging shift?

We are trying to consolidate our chemical usage and thinking about getting bulk caustic, but it seems we don't really need caustic for our packaging line CIP.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek Leong
    Associate Process Engineer
    Anchor Brewing Company

Dereck

I would think you should be able to do an acid only clean, with periodic caustic wash as needed. Just make sure you are keeping up on your QC and using some kind of ATP swabs and/or occasionally a product like Desama Max for peace of mind.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Thanks Ted for the feedback. That was what I was assuming we should be doing. I would rather not have to bring our CIP cycles to temps over 180 with caustic.

We run a PAA cycle every morning for sanitizing purposes so I don't think we need to run our CIP cycles at high temps. Could we run the acid cycles at ambient temperatures?

Thanks

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
      Dereck

I would think you should be able to do an acid only clean, with periodic caustic wash as needed. Just make sure you are keeping up on your QC and using some kind of ATP swabs and/or occasionally a product like Desama Max for peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
      X