Building Grist Case Out of Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Grist Case Out of Wood

Can anyone think of a reason why a grist case cannot be made out of wood? We only need a small one, and I can build one pretty easily for a fraction of the cost with the nicest wood. So why not? Does it matter if the case would hold uncrushed or crushed grains?

I would not go the wood route. Your grist case is probably going to be suspended above your MT and so its going to get exposed to a lot of steam and being in the brewhouse it will probably get water on it, which would lead to warping and mold growth. Being in a hot humid climate like North Carolina would also turn that thing into the perfect breeding ground for wild yeasts and acetobacters. Most health departments would probably frown on using a porous material like wood in the constuction of your brewhouse. Go with stainless or platsic.
    Todd Crowell
    Head Brewer
    Kettlehouse Brewing
    Missoula, MT

Comment

I agree, too many potential issues with wood. We have a plastic grist case, the 1.5 ton Polydome http://www.polydome.com/bulk_bins.html We had a hatch cut into the cover, with hingers and a metal rim on the hatch door added (very simple and cheap to do). Pouring the grain in through the hatch (we buy pre crushed) I can easily get over 1000# of grain in the case. If you went in though the center I have no doubt you could get more than that in there.

Comment

Originally posted by dinobrew View Post
        I would not go the wood route. Your grist case is probably going to be suspended above your MT and so its going to get exposed to a lot of steam and being in the brewhouse it will probably get water on it, which would lead to warping and mold growth. Being in a hot humid climate like North Carolina would also turn that thing into the perfect breeding ground for wild yeasts and acetobacters. Most health departments would probably frown on using a porous material like wood in the constuction of your brewhouse. Go with stainless or platsic.
        Good point, but I should have specified that our grist case setup will be a bit odd because of our layout. It will be placed on the floor about 15 feet way from kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by wailingguitar View Post
          I agree, too many potential issues with wood. We have a plastic grist case, the 1.5 ton Polydome http://www.polydome.com/bulk_bins.html We had a hatch cut into the cover, with hingers and a metal rim on the hatch door added (very simple and cheap to do). Pouring the grain in through the hatch (we buy pre crushed) I can easily get over 1000# of grain in the case. If you went in though the center I have no doubt you could get more than that in there.
          Thank you for the polydome recommendation. That's a great price. It's a bit tall though. We want to place it on the floor, so I'm going to go back and see how we might work with something that tall. Thanks!

Comment

Grist has a very high angle of repose, so the walls of the conical part must be very steep, hence a grist case is tall if you want to be able to get the grist out the bottom.

I don't want anything made of wood anywhere near the brew house--that includes wooden studs in the walls. Short of a full marine-grade epoxy seal, there's no way to keep moisture out of the wood.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
            X