Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam vs. Direct Fired Kettle

Hello,

Can someone describe to me the pro's/cons of a direct fired kettle vs. steam heated? Which is more expensive? Which is easier to maintain? Which is better for the beer?

Thanks!

~Morgan

Fire V. Steam

I'm sure you will eventually get a lot of opinions on this. I have used both, and mine is direct fire is cheaper, but can be harder on the wort, depending on your kettle design. Steam usually provides a much more even heat, but boilers can be a pain, and usually have to be licensed by your local authorities. Direct fire works well for smaller applications (~10 Barrels). I would look at steam closer for anything larger.
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

I agree, boilers can be a pain, but so can the burners on a direct fire. Steam kettles are easier to clean because you dont get theat charred black film on the bottom. I have also worked witha couple direct fire kettles that had been dry fired by a previous brewer, it's really hard to get all of the trub out of the bottom of a warped kettle.

just my $0.02
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

direct fired kettle

Originally posted by pbutlert
        I'm sure you will eventually get a lot of opinions on this. I have used both, and mine is direct fire is cheaper, but can be harder on the wort, depending on your kettle design. Steam usually provides a much more even heat, but boilers can be a pain, and usually have to be licensed by your local authorities. Direct fire works well for smaller applications (~10 Barrels). I would look at steam closer for anything larger.
        What does a direct fired kettle need to be? Could you just directly fire the bottom of something like this? http://www.dairyeng.com/tankdetail.a...yNumber=PT-839 OR something as un-wieldly as this squarish tank? http://www.dairyeng.com/tankdetail.a...yNumber=T-1169

Comment

Working...
        X