ozonated water as cleaning and holding solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ozonated water as cleaning and holding solution

We are testing out an ozone-water generator and I am curious if anyone has used O3 as a holding solution for barrels. I'm only talking about 3-4 weeks before we refill the barrels, but I'm curious about the stabilize of O3 water, or if I might expect mold issues to develop after a few weeks, as if they were simply filled with normal H2O? Any input is appreciated.
    Kevin Drake
    Alibi Ale Works
    North Lake Tahoe

how is ozone water working?

What is the verdict? I am looking into a wall mount ozone generator that injects ozone into water for all cleaning and sanitation needs in a Nano brewery we have planned. We like the idea of not using, or at least minimizing, acids and caustics. Any considerations or news?

Thanks,
    Thomie

Comment

Even if you store it with ozone treated water, this doesn't guarantee it will be sterile after a few weeks. You need to reclean and resterilise - so why bother storing with something that cannot be guaranteed to work. I would also prefer not to store ozone water because of the destructive effect of ozone on sealing "rubbers" - though I admit to having no personal experience of the destructive effect over a long period of storage
      dick

Comment

O3

Ozone(O3), and ozinated water is unstable and will dissociate to 02+H2O quickly. Use it to "sanitize" casks and other wooden equipment, but do not use as a 4 week holding solution. Some brewers will sweeten with spirit and fill with CO2. You could use a #11 one hole stopper plus aspirator to keep 1-2 psi CO2 pressure on cask for holding. Happy Aging!

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
        We are testing out an ozone-water generator and I am curious if anyone has used O3 as a holding solution for barrels. I'm only talking about 3-4 weeks before we refill the barrels, but I'm curious about the stabilize of O3 water, or if I might expect mold issues to develop after a few weeks, as if they were simply filled with normal H2O? Any input is appreciated.
        Kettle and Still Consulting
        Laurence Livingston
        (541) 207-4880
        brewkahuna@hotmail.com
        kettleandstillconsulting.com

Comment

Working...
        X