raspberry wheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raspberry wheat

Hi all, i am new to brewing a fruit beer so any advise is needed. ie~ when to add , frozen or puree , and pasteurization, many thanks

raspberries are a bitch....

But they are a nice addition when done right. Seeds are an issue, so get seedless puree if you can. Or frozen and then pulp them through a sieve to remove seeds. Then add pectinase to the pulp. Without pectinase, you will get stringy, cloudy, dull clarity. Pectinase before adding to your recipe.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

@gitchegumee thanks this helps lots,

Comment

I add all my fruit in secondary. Just make sure its well washed and and freeze it to kill off anything that might infect. I also tend to add it to higher gravity beers around 60 degrees to allow the sugars to ferment and the alcohol bring out some more of the flavors. I've never had a problem with infection. Depends on the flavors you want to pull tho. In the boil will give you more tartness and require pectinase, secondary will give you a sweeter fruit profile closer to the fruit itself, will not cloud the beer.

Comment

Aseptic Puree

I seem to always go this route.

Comment

Made LOTS of them thru the years. I prefer asceptic puree and I usually use Oregon Fruit Co. as mentioned above. I put it in after my cold crash is complete and allow it to settle out for about 48 hours.Never had a issue with re-fermentation or infection issues.
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

Should have replied to this sooner, anyhow here goes. So I made the beer on our pilot system and it turned out well if a little tart and dry almost verging on sour. The raspberry flavor is great but i would need it a little sweeter for the pallete as the intention was not for a sour. I added the puree after fermentation was complete and conditioned for a week on the fruit, mayby this was too long on the fruit ??. So to brew again I would need to mash a little higher and get more unfermentables to sweeten it up .

Comment

Working...
              X