Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-row to adjunct ratios?

Working with Cream Ale style beer and have a question:

At what percentage of adjuncts (such as flaked corn or flaked rice) in a recipe would you need to add six row barley in order to get good conversion? For example, if the recipe is between 10%-30% flaked rice or corn would you need to make the remainder of the grist Six row? Or would you just match the percent of adjunct with six row (15% flaked adjunct equals adding 15% six row)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Catfish002; 07-13-2016, 09:17 AM.

With the diastatic power of most 2-row barleys you shouldn't need any 6 row for up to 30% adjuncts. What you want to think of is the total DP of the mash. Beersmith has a good explanation of this (not a endorsement just a quick Google, I don't use it) and a chart of average DP. You should calculate the actual numbers off your malt report form from your supplier.
    This week we cover the technical topic of the diastatic power for mashing your all grain beer. While rarely covered, this topic is an important one, especially for home brewers making beers with high percentages of non-barley or specialty grains.

I would recommend a multi step mash and some rice hulls in the lauter.
    If you want a real challenge how about a traditional Roggen with 50-60% rye? Be prepared for a 10 hour lauter, LOL
    Good luck!
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

I agree that unless you're using 30% adjuncts, you shouldn't need to use 6-row, and in fact for a Cream Ale I would be very reticent to use it at all. In my experience 6-Row tends to be a little "rougher" than 2-row, and that roughness is especially noticeable in lighter (both by color and by strength) beers. It is a great asset to beers that are supposed to be a little rough around the edges like an IPA or (especially) a Steam Ale(TM), but I would avoid it if at all possible in a cream ale. It won't do your body or taste any favors.

Comment

Working...
      X