Oxygenation Amounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygenation Amounts

For the last years after just opening up we I have just been controlling my oxygenation by sight. My stone assembly is visible in a sight glass right after my HX. I would adjust it to get a good steady, creamy flow. I have about 10' of 1" hose from the stone to the fermenter.
    I just recently upgraded and got an adjustable oxygen regulator flow meter. I spoke with a few brewers locally and it seems like the general consensus is 3-4LPM. I set mine to 3 yesterday and was really surprised at how high the flow is. Does anyone have any helpful info or tips on this?
    By the way. This is on a 3 BBL system and KO takes between 30 and 40 minutes.

Thanks
    Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came straight from home brewing into a head brewer position at a start up brewery and had to figure out nearly everything through educated guesses and trial and error. What I have settled on with aeration is a linear scaling of what I did at home-brew. I used to target 1LPM at 60 seconds in a 5.5gal batch. You could call that "1 Liter" of O2 in theory, if I achieved 100% uptake efficiency which doesn't happen. But still, I have turned certain things into manageable (albeit imaginary) units like that to help me along. At the 10bbl size, I have settled on trying to achieve somewhere around 62 Liters of O2: 1LPM @ 60min K.O. or 1.5LPM @ 40min K.O. I settled on this completely by trial and error and monitoring fermentation performance and final beer ester profiles. I tried verifying my O2 procedure with an O2 meter once the wort was in the FV but I could never get reliable data as the results were all over the board. I was, in a way, validated when I later saw that it lined up almost exactly with what Brewing Science Institute recommended.

All that to say, if I went to a 3bbl system and it took me 30-40min to K.O. 4bbl worth of wort, I would target somewhere around 22-25 Liters. That would be a flow of .75LPM which would give you 22.5 (30min KO) to 30 (40min KO) liters of O2.

Hope this at least steers you in the right direction. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
    X