Advice on trench drain placement and slope strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on trench drain placement and slope strategy

We're in the process of planning for the installation of our brewery in the outskirts of Paris, France. I'm looking for some design help for doing our floors. Does anyone have an architect or engineer that they've had good experience with?

My tentative plan was to run a trench drain 4 meters (1 meter left of the fermenters) out from the wall in the right side of the drawing below for draining the brew house, HLT/CLT, CIP, fermenters and bottling line then redo the slab with a 2% slope running from the right side to the left side of the drawing to send water towards the drain. I'm wondering if not having a second slope to the left of the drain is going to make my life miserable (any hose spray that makes it to the other side of the drain will puddle in the otherwise flat floor). Also, eventually, we'd like to stick a second row of fermenters to the left of the existing row (on the other side of the drain). Would you pre-prepare this space at the same time that we have the rest of the floor done, or is it reasonable to leave this until we are ready to order the additional FVs a few years from now?

Thanks,

Anthony Baraff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brewery.png
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	194416

Do the entire floor, drains, slopes, epoxy resin / tiles, upstands etc, for all current and anticipate expansion plans NOW. You don't want to muck about once you are brewing - for all sorts of reasons. And you will never get a good continuous slab, which you require for effective drainage and prevention of corrosion of the slab and re-enforcing. Don't even think about only half tiling or epoxy resin finishing - the slab will get wet and damage both the first and subsequent batches of resin / tiles. 'fraid you just have to spend a bit more up front.
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
      Do the entire floor, drains, slopes, epoxy resin / tiles, upstands etc, for all current and anticipate expansion plans NOW. You don't want to muck about once you are brewing - for all sorts of reasons. And you will never get a good continuous slab, which you require for effective drainage and prevention of corrosion of the slab and re-enforcing. Don't even think about only half tiling or epoxy resin finishing - the slab will get wet and damage both the first and subsequent batches of resin / tiles. 'fraid you just have to spend a bit more up front.
      Hey Dick,

I was thinking of doing the slab to the right side of the trench drain in one go and leaving everything to the left side for a later date. This should alleviate the issue with not having a continuous slab right? I understand that it would be a mess to be operating while a section of the floor was being redone, but we should be able to fill up the tanks and shutdown for 3 weeks while the work is done.

Anthony

Comment

I would do the whole lot at once. You will have spillages on the untreated concrete surface, which may result in poor adhesion of the new surface when you eventually get around to it, and any damp spreading under the first part surfaces, which is likely to weaken the adhesion. I have seen loads of repairs done, which never last as long as the original, and whilst I accept the conditions of these are probably more extreme than a micro brewery, I still wouldn't want to risk the long term reliability of the whole floor surface post 2nd stage treatment.

I also suggest you talk to the materials manufacturer (not supplier), not just the installation contractor. Spend the extra now, painful though it might be short term.
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X