No announcement yet.

Chocolate Stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have made severl chocolate stouts and used an extract with excellent results. PM me if you want some detials.

Comment

wow, what an idea

How much do you use and and is it expensive? What a nice touch to a dunkel-weizen!

Originally posted by Capt. Bob
      This may sound off the wall....there is a product called "cocoa mulch" that is
      found at Home Depot or other gardening/home improvement stores. It is nothing more than the shells of the roasted cocoa beans that are removed prior to grinding. It has a wonderfull chocotale aroma and can be added to the mash. I've used it with great results in home brewing. It works wonders for a chocolate oatmeal stout in that it adds bulk to the mash to prevent a stuck sparge.

Just an idea

Bob
      Saint Somewhere Brewing
      Tarpon Springs FL
      "Uncle" Frank
      Frank Fermino
      Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
      Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
      Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

Anyone care to share a source for bulk chocolate nibs? Some limited googling turned up www.sunfood.com whose proprietor has this to say:

"People always ask me what I eat. Raw, organic Cacao Nibs and Cacao Beans are the primary food in my diet. Cacao is the superfood of the future. Cacao Nibs and Cacao Beans are truly the food of the gods, the best food ever!" -- David Wolfe, author of Naked Chocolate, Eating for Beauty, The Sunfood Diet Success System, and Amazing Grace

Figure we need some of that best ever, superfood of the future gods in our stout. Although at $11 half pound I think I know why David really likes it.
        Clarke Pelz
        Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Nib Source

I have the luxury of dealing with food purveyors - Ben E. Keith, Sysco -who come in handy on a blue moon with stuff like this. I bought Valrhona nibs that were much cheaper than the online store you mentioned, though I don't recall exactly how much, but they were not as astronomical as that! A buddy in PA said he got with a local artisanal chocolatier and they were going to supply the nibs for one of their beers (Iron Hill Brewery). I bet that's the freshest way to go for nibs!

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

We have had good luck using low fat undutched cocoa powder (10 -12% fat) during the last 10 minutes of the boil of our Cocoa Cream Stout. It added a wonderful natural cocoa flavor without the astringency. Now during primary fermentation the beer tasted more like chocolate milk and was loaded with cocoa powder, but after two weeks the powder dropped out and left it's wonderful flavor behind.

I think that the real key here is the undutched low fat cocoa. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Brian Owens
            O'Fallon Brewery

Comment

used nibs from this company.
              Quality and Sustainable Cacao and Specialty Ingredients for bakeries, restaurants, manufacturers, and chocolatiers.

Good results with 20# in a 15 bbl batch. Last 15 minutes of boil.
              Matt Van Wyk
              Brewmaster
              Oakshire Brewing
              Eugene Oregon

Comment

Nibs- Yummy

I got mine via Theo Chocolate in Seattle, they are very nice and helpful. Since it is for resale in the beer i got the nibs at wholesale. I don't recall the exact price but it was about $10/lb. I used 10 lbs/8bbls in the BBT for 6 days
                BTW they are organic fair trade nibs too.

Hey Brian, How goes it in St Louis?? Sent you a PM
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

Try Southern Tier Choklat it has the most chocolate flavor and aroma I've experienced. Would love to find out their secret!
                  David Wollner
                  Brewer/Owner
                  Willimantic Brewing Company
                  967 Main St.
                  Willimantic, CT.06226
                  860-423-6777
                  www.willibrew.com
                  david.wollner@willibrew.com

Comment

Zombie thread!

Just wanted to check something with those who have used cocoa nibs : I was expecting them to be like hard-shelled nuts, but the coarsely-ground nibs I was given can be chewed/crushed in the mouth and seem to dissolve.

Several here have used cocoa nibs in the boil, which is my planned method, but seems to me that the nibs will dissolve - or do they stay solid? Or are you using uncrushed nibs which are essentially whole seed pods?

I was fortunate to meet a very helpful chocolatier who is educating me on chocolate arcana - will share relevant stuff here when I have a grasp of it.
                    Gregg

Comment

i use cocoa @15mins, got to be good quality and without potassium carbonate

works ok, its just been acepted to the finals of the champion winter ale of britain!
                      support the diamond empire

www.liverpoolorganicbrewery.com

Comment

Is there anymore info on using the chocolate extract? How much was used? Where to get it?

I used the nibs but the flavor isn't there.

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I got some of the chocolate extract from Rogue, and used a half gallon in 10 Bbls. Added during fining. Great chocolate flavor, beer was a cherry chocolate Baltic Porter. I have no idea where they get it, they buy it in bulk and I bought a gallon from them in an unmarked container.
                          Paul Thomas
                          Brewer
                          Sockeye Brewing
                          www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Cocoa Powder

I have had great results using Cocoa Powder....the key is using undutched 10/12 (low fat) Cocoa Powder. All of the "natural" chocolate flavor without as much of the unwanted fats. I use this in a cream stout with the addition 10 min before the end of boil. It is not easy dissolving the powder in the wort, but if you use a scoop to fan it out it helps reduce the amount of cocoa balls.

Brian
                            O'Fallon Brewery

Comment

Working...
                            X