Basic yeast lab requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic yeast lab requirements?

I work in a very small brewery, we are planning an expansion, so we are thinking of setting up a small yeast lab for checking yeast health and for propagating. What are the basics we'll need to get us started? Presumably some glassware, a small autoclave, ...???

Yeast management.

Originally posted by muddy View Post
    I work in a very small brewery, we are planning an expansion, so we are thinking of setting up a small yeast lab for checking yeast health and for propagating. What are the basics we'll need to get us started? Presumably some glassware, a small autoclave, ...???
    Check out the BSI website here in the states. Brewing Science Institute... You'll find multiple free pdf's to download. Look for the "lab handbook". Should be all you need!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, the handbook you mention has lots of useful stuff but doesn't quite have the answer I was looking for.

Comment

You can also look in the Yeast book by Chris White - there are suggestions for setting up a simple lab and adding to it as budget allows.

Comment

Originally posted by scotts View Post
          You can also look in the Yeast book by Chris White - there are suggestions for setting up a simple lab and adding to it as budget allows.
          +1 on this. Helped me set up my lab.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've looked at the book, it is exactly what I need :-)

Comment

Here are a few staples and I'm sure i left out a lot and misspelled even more

Microscope
              autoclave
              stir plate (heated)
              bunsen burner (create a semi clean atmosphere to work in )
              hemocytometer
              incubator
              slants
              methylene blue solution ( yeast viability )
              volumetric flask, erlenmyer , gradulated ect ...
              loops
              slants
              media for growth or microbe detection ( HLP ect ..)
              pipete
              Scale to weight yeast
              yeast brink

feel free to inbox with any questions !
              Last edited by BostonianBrewer; 11-01-2016, 06:50 PM. Reason: ore info

Comment

Working...
              X